E-Classic shut down for the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecrane99

May 14, 2008
CT
On March 30th, we shut down our E-Classic for the season. A couple of surprises ecountered were:

Cleaning took 2 days!! I cleaned and scraped all areas within reach. Is this overkill?
HPIM1332.jpg

Very dirty job!!
HPIM1414.jpg

Found that my water was brown. Turned out my PH was too low. I have drained the old water and corrected the problem
by adding soda ash to some fresh water to get my PH to 9.
HPIM1409.jpg

Found a cracked brick at the bottom of firebox. New one on order.
HPIM1415.jpg

Found a loose brick in reaction chamber. reglued.
HPIM1389.jpg

Found a loose rope gasket in bottom of firebox. reglued.
HPIM1394.jpg

Found out why bypass is sticky (creosote buildup)
HPIM1375.jpg

Your actually really clean - my first year with my 6048 I decided that I wanted it to really last a long time so I bought a needle scalier and climbed in and went to town on the walls. I cleaned everything right down to the bare metal and then oiled everything. When I was done, I started to head into the house and the wife informed me that I was throwing my cloths away and taking a garden hose shower before I even entered the house. Not fun, and the next year I just scraped the boiler walls with a garden hoe.

mine is going offline as of tomorrow. looks like you did a thorough job,but just curious if you removed the stack to access rear ?? seems to me that may be the toughest part .

logjammed said:
mine is going offline as of tomorrow. looks like you did a thorough job,but just curious if you removed the stack to access rear ?? seems to me that may be the toughest part .

I did not remove the stack. I did what I could using the rear access door at the heat exchangers (long arms).

BOY WITH ONE YEAR OF BURNING AND ALL THAT REMOVAL OF BRICK AND CREOSOTE AND BROKEN BRICKS AND RUST IN WATER AND IN FIRE BOX WHATS IT GOING TO LOOK LIKE IN 3 YRS. GOT ME SCARED!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.