E-W vs. N-S vs. Hybrid Loading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Just ruminating on how to load the Hampton HI300 insert. This morning I put two splits n-s and then one and some lighter stuff e-w. What's nice is the fire starter can go in the tunnel easily. Then again, when I first got the stove, during some cold days I stuffed it somewhat n-s and it started just fine. I think there might be more dirty glass with the n-s method though. I think more wood can be stuffed in there safely n-s.

I recall this topic being discussed before, but with all the first fires starting up, I figure, 'tis the season.

Velvet, a lot of folks will load both directions when starting a cold stove. It has worked for many, many moons and will continue to work. ;)

I agree with Dennis we almost always load both ways when loading a cold stove. My reason is simple it tends to light much quicker and burn down more even on startup.

Pete

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Thanks guys. I'll still probably experiment over the course of the winter. Warmed up today, so no fire projected for tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.