EAB Detected in NJ

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assumed it was in NJ for years. Dying all around us. In north central NJ.

That damn EAB has been the worst. I see no way to stop it and it's devastated things here. I'm going to have to train myself to start looking at live trees instead of all the dead and dying.

Not cool. My house is surrounded by 100+ foot ash trees.

I think it was Rutgers collage or maybe the NJ Forestry division either way someone about 3 years ago hung those purple boxes in tree's all over Sussex Co, I'm assuming they were trying to trap / collect the EMB's. In my area I have large patches of Ash tree's, no noticeable differences in there health yet.

Reactions: mikey517
Place down the road from me has a plethora of what I assume to be bug catching traps in all kinds of shapes, sizes and colors -- purple triangle, long black thing made out of spheres, flat white trap and a few other colors and shapes -- not sure if they're hoping to catch one specific bug or a whole lot of different bugs.

This ash came from Sparta in Sussex Co. NJ. It was a blowdown from Sandy, and had been bucked for nearly a year. I split it last spring (2014) and found this inside. Little sucker was still moving.

1c05b95dfa740534f44f8701715754ef.jpg 87bf7adb70b6bd9c4791eaab0facd7ea.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh (sigh) bummer

There are more than one type of boring beetle. I've had a few in my firewood from time to time.

That's a shame. Was reading about this in the paper recently. According to the experts, EAB hasn't been found in Delaware. Yet. It's in the surrounding states. Probably just a matter of time before it gets here.

Are ash trees have been dead for over seven years. It was quite a mess. I have a sapling about 10 foot tall in my yard doing quite well that came up from a stump. hopefully the borer don't come back now that ALL the live mature ash trees are gone.

Buy yourself a bottle of imidacloprid, $70 for enough to treat several hundred trees, and start doing root drench in March or April. Not difficult, and very effective as a preventative treatment.

The purple triangle traps are all over the place here in NH. Last year was the first time I saw them, there's more this year,not sure what the results have been.

EAB has been in north jersey for years. i moved to south jersey (from sussex)10 years ago and can recall seeing dead stands as far back as 7-9 years now. it's really sad.. likely all the ash will die. makes for a pretty constant supply of firewood though. luckily north jersey is fertile. dead stands will turn into clearings, clearings will turn into newgrowth forest (which is amazing habitat for wildlife). the ash will be gone, and the EAB with them. give it time and they will return.

Reactions: mikey517
Status
Not open for further replies.