EAB officially confirmed in Massachusetts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's inevitible in the entire northeastern US. Nothing is being done to curb it (they are going to travel with the wind if nothing else), between them and the exploding tick and stinkbug population, something is gonna need to be done soon......

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
They are leaving our area. Of course we have no more live ash for them to destroy....

When I was driving back to Logan from the cape last month all the traffic notification signs were displaying "Don't move firewood"
To which I snickered and asked myself - What's it gonna load itself in the stove?

That sucks. I love ash.

I guess I need to stop and kiss an Ash tree their time is growing short

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I guess I need to stop and kiss an Ash tree their time is growing short
And our seasoning time is growing long, if you're like me and Oak is your most plentiful wood... :(

Inevitable I guess. I'm interested in seeing how much ash is actually up here in north eastern MA. I don't think there is a ton of it around here but I could be wrong. Most ash that I see are yard trees, and mostly twisted and eventually cut down. I could be way off, but I don't think that there will be a huge noticable difference in the timber stands.

It is still a shame when a tree species is literally wiped out of such a large geographical area.

On another note. I found this bug at work a few weeks ago and thought it was EAB at first. I mean really, an emerald green, shiny body. I killed it and scooped it up into a container and brought it home to ID it. It turned out to be a six spotted tiger beetle or something like that. I was almost on the state biologist hotline when I found it. The difference was easy to tell.

IMG_1140.JPG IMG_1135.JPG

Inevitable I guess. I'm interested in seeing how much ash is actually up here in north eastern MA. I don't think there is a ton of it around here but I could be wrong. Most ash that I see are yard trees, and mostly twisted and eventually cut down. I could be way off, but I don't think that there will be a huge noticable difference in the timber stands.

It is still a shame when a tree species is literally wiped out of such a large geographical area.

I know over here in central mass theres a ton of ash, not sure on specific percentages but Id say it may be the most plentiful tree. My BIL cuts wood for a living and most of his wood is ash and oak.

I know over here in central mass theres a ton of ash, not sure on specific percentages but Id say it may be the most plentiful tree. My BIL cuts wood for a living and most of his wood is ash and oak.

Interesting. I drive by many town forests and private properties on the way to work and it is mostly oak, maple, locust, cherry and pines. I guess the locations and soil conditions will vary across the state.

How does any quarantine affect the cost of bought firewood, as in log-length triaxle loads?
Like, if they can't drive from one zone to another.

I just spoke to a forester yesterday in PA and they had a no transport for Ash on for a few years. But now that has gotten uncontrollable you can now transport it. It used to be you could only get a portable sawmill to mill the wood. I guess they have given up here.

On another note. I found this bug at work a few weeks ago and thought it was EAB at first. I mean really, an emerald green, shiny body. I killed it and scooped it up into a container and brought it home to ID it. It turned out to be a six spotted tiger beetle or something like that. I was almost on the state biologist hotline when I found it. The difference was easy to tell.

View attachment 73733 View attachment 73735

Here is the killer.

adulteab.jpg

Wow Pen, that is fantastic!

Exactly! I'm just glad to see that someone is trying something to get ahead of these things. In the end, I don't care if they can get irradiated hedgehogs to do the job, all I know is our ash trees are still OK, and I hope to hell that they can stay that way.

If we lost some for a generation, I'd be sad, but if I knew they'd be back in the future I'd be alright with the world.

Ash may not be the world's best firewood, but it's damn nice working with, does the job, and and I'd hate to think it could go the way of the chestnut. Just need to find some way of getting ahead of and killing these little green sob's and then the future would have a chance considering this is a predator, and not a disease.

pen

unfortunately get ready to see a lot of this, a freshly cut split from a freshly cut dead standing ash @ 14%

20120913_140745.jpg20120913_140818.jpg

Interesting. I drive by many town forests and private properties on the way to work and it is mostly oak, maple, locust, cherry and pines. I guess the locations and soil conditions will vary across the state.

Soil conditions play a role but so does elevation, theres a few factors, I hate to see this beetle come our way but I guess Ill get a lot of firewood.

From the article:

“The Emerald ash borer brings a very serious threat to our ash trees, and we are not taking its presence lightly,” Ed Lambert, commissioner of the Department of Conservation and Recreation, said in a statement. “We are taking swift action to address the infestation, and are working to mitigate any impact an infestation could bring.”

This is a bold statement, but from what I read on this site, the destruction seems widespread. Is there any chance to mitigate the infestation? I do know that Ma. has worked hard to remove thousands of trees infested with ALB. I wonder if they are going to do the same for EAB?

Hi -
Here are my observations based on the 6 years or so that we've had the EAB problem. The biggest trees go first. In my area these were 24" diameter and up. If you have significant stands with Ash, be sure you have enough saw, hauling capacity, and storage stace. These bugs are fast. The local woods that were 40-60% Ash have no mature trees, nothin over 8" now unless near death. Cutting the last of the standing dead this winter. I've cut about 150 of them. It's a shame to burn good sawmill logs. Plan ahead if you can.

All the best,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.