Ear Buds/ Head Phones

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
certain radio's are worse than others. i have no trouble with old radios but the new one's wow. sometimes i have to shut them off. but the the new radios when on to me it sounds like a wedding when someone takes a knife and hits the side of the glass. it goes to the beat of the music. it's enough to make you want silence. right now i hear a hiss and a high frequency that is my menieres kicking up i can't win

Reminds me of my first week working in on high-power RF amplifiers. I'm sitting at my desk trying to do some quiet work, and I keep hearing this high-pitched squealing noise, like a dog whistle. It was just on the edge of my hearing, probably 15 - 20 kHz, but loud enough that it made my teeth ache. If you've ever worked near an ultrasonic welder, you know the sound.

Anyway, I get up from my desk and walk over to the engineering lab, and see one of the older engineers with his head stuck inside this refrigerator-sized amplifier cabinet with the thing squealing to high hell and all of the blower fans screaming away. I yell to him to ask how he can stand that squealing noise, and he says, "what squealing noise?". ;lol

The lower operating frequency of those amps was around 9 - 10 kHz, and when you operated them anywhere down in these 10 - 100 kHz bands, the nanocrystalline tape wound (i.e. ferrite) cores would just scream. But none of these guys who'd been working on that stuff more than a few years could hear it anymore, all of their hearing was totally shot above 10 kHz.

Reactions: clancey and fbelec
same thing here i went to a tech high voc school the teacher was a old tv repair guy and a ham operator. we were gathered around this tv trainer after about 5 minutes go by everybody was twitching in there seats. the teacher asked what our problem was and we said don't you hear that. the 15k oscillator for the horizontal was screaming. he sticks his head into the trainer and says i don't hear a thing. meanwhile we are all sweating it was so bad. he had to teach us about the vertical and horizontal oscillators so we could stop the screaming.

Reactions: clancey and Ashful
i seem to have lost most of my hearing right around the frequency at which my wife speaks. Well, that’s what she would tell you, anyway. 😀