Ear Plugs...........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodMann

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2008
New Mexico
I've been seeing some small and evidently effective earplugs while watching wood cutting competitions. The whole ear muff setup I've been using, while salvaging my hearing, is a PITA for the most part; ill fitting causing ears to hurt, especially wearing glasses. Doesn't fit well over a hat either. Question is- where can I get some of these things?

Muffs that attach to your hardhat work very well and actually help to keep the hat in place. They are also the point of attachment for the face shield.

If you want to stuff plugs in your ear and risk ear infections, there are many styles available at saftey supply houses. Always wash your hands before handling earplugs and throw away, don't reuse disposable plugs. Choose a style of plug that cannot crumble and leave bits in your ear.

In the many years I've worked in construction, I've seen quite a few ear infections caused by earplugs and stupidity.

LLigetfa said:
Muffs that attach to your hardhat work very well and actually help to keep the hat in place. They are also the point of attachment for the face shield.

If you want to stuff plugs in your ear and risk ear infections, there are many styles available at saftey supply houses. Always wash your hands before handling earplugs and throw away, don't reuse disposable plugs. Choose a style of plug that cannot crumble and leave bits in your ear.

In the many years I've worked in construction, I've seen quite a few ear infections caused by earplugs and stupidity.

Never heard of ear plugs causing ear infections before, not saying it couldn't happen. I wear them all the time on the firing range, when I worked in a saw mill, and everywhere else I need hearing protection. If you are frugal enough to reuse ear plugs then buy one of those little bags women put their stockings and other delicates in to run them threw the washing machine, then just run them with your regular laundry.

here are the plugs I use and where I buy them

They are pretty easy to find, just search for 'disposable ear plug' and you'll find lots of styles and prices. I go through quite a few sets...basically try and stick them in anytime i'm working with power tools or loud hammering/banging.

http://www.drillspot.com/safety/hearing-protection/earplugs/

http://www.drillspot.com/products/65176/Howard_Leight_MAX-1_Disposable_Ear_Plug

Also, you'll see that most will have a 'dB' Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) as to how much they dampen the sound...ie '-28dB', '-33dB' , etc The higher the number, the more attenuation or 'sound deadening' they have. -33dB plugs will seem more quiet than the -28's. It seems like I recall seeing a few places offering -34dB, but that is about the max I've seen for ear plugs. But even at -33dB, it cuts down on chainsaw noise pretty well...just make sure you roll them up tight and insert them in your ear properly...I see a bunch of guys with them just laying in their ear...they don't cut nearly as much sound that way!

crazy_dan said:
Never heard of ear plugs causing ear infections before
A quick search on google for osha "ear plugs" infection gave me 2860 hits.

When I was doing air track drilling, lots of guys had custom earplugs molded to fit. You can get custom molded ear plugs through an audiologist or there are DIY kits available online.

Cool, thanks guys. If I could get the muffs on my hard hat to work I'd be a happy camper. I'll try and post up some pics, but they are in direct line with the chin strap part thus making them ineffective and a PITA haning on the side.....................

WoodMann said:
I've been seeing some small and evidently effective earplugs while watching wood cutting competitions. The whole ear muff setup I've been using, while salvaging my hearing, is a PITA for the most part; ill fitting causing ears to hurt, especially wearing glasses. Doesn't fit well over a hat either. Question is- where can I get some of these things?

Any earplug you buy at a saw shop, hardware store, or gun shop are small and evidently effective.

FWIW, I like muffs simply because the on/off is quick and I don't have to worry about dirtiing them up and shoving them into my ear. And, not all muffs are created equal. Some are much more comfortable than others. For example, I've always found Peltors much more comfortable than Silencios.

WoodMann said:
...but they are in direct line with the chin strap part...
I've never seen a chin strap on a standard hardhat, only on what climbers wear. Muffs help keep my ears warm and you can easily slip a knitted warmer over the whole works if you're not using the face shield. I little tricky with the shield. The muffs do still work over hardhat liners and help stop the hat from flopping around as much.
images
LINER1.jpg

I've probably used everything going but nothing beats good old Ear Classic disposable foam plugs for comfort and keeping the noise out.

Mike

Jamess67 said:
wife still says Im deaf...
That's called selective hearing. It takes years to train the brain to tune out certain things. I bet she could call you with a wisper from across the room for supper (as long as it smells good) and you'd hear it.

WoodMann said:
Cool, thanks guys. If I could get the muffs on my hard hat to work I'd be a happy camper.

I spent more time picking out my helmet/muffs/shield combo than I did on my saw.
I'm lucky that my dealer had 4 different brands on display (2 Peltors, Husky, & Stihl). The Stihl felt best on me. None had chinstraps. (?)

Over the years I have had two sets of the custom molded in the ear ones. Reaaly nice, effective, and had a little resonant tube and chamber in them, they blocked loud or low frequency noises, but passed normal conversation. I have never had custom solid molded, I'd rather get the ones with the chambers.
Really great for dynamometer time, gun range, or motorcycling. Eventually my ear and bone structure changed and I would have new ones molded. I think they are about $50. Usually a booth selling them at gun shows, sometimes at motorcycle events.

Now, just for faster convenience on & off for shorter time periods I use muffs.Howard Leight I find most comfortable, but I think merged into some other company Bilstrom maybe?
I find the muffs block airborne sound but also block bone born sound, in through the bones of the side of the head. So the noise reduction is much greater for me than an equivalent disposable foam plug.

muffs over the custom plugs were awesome during long dyno days. inconvenient, but worked very well.

whatever you choose, wear something always. hearing loss is cumulative: not just one time, it is hours of exposure times amount of sound times how many years. So even moderate noises cause hearing loss over longer times espeically low frequencies. and irreverisble, by the time you notice it is too late.

k

My hearing protection is a set of flight deck muffs my brother gave me from his stint as a Westinghouse liason to the NAvy on the USS Midway in the 80's. I figure if they're good enough to protect the deck hands from the noise generated by a pair of turbofans in a fighter then they're good enough for chainsaw noise.

Unfortunately the foam inside has been degrading for the last couple of years so its getting time to move on. They were fantastic though.

You cna buy decent disposable foam inserts at your local supermarket...thats where we get the ones my wife wears to protect her hearing from my snoring.

I too wore plugs everyday for over 2 years and worked around cranes and dropping slabs of steel. I also used to shoot competitively and wore plugs and muffs both when shooting muzzle breaks on my guns. I used the disposable ones at the mill and just threw them away after one day. You can get infections or build up of wax if you don't keep your ears clean or have dirty fingers when you roll the plugs up to insert them.

Its better to wear something now, and not wish you did later when you cant hear. :smirk:

Shipper

I can't stand ear plugs. When operating power equipment, I use relatively inexpensive AO Safety ear muffs - no hat. I replace them every few years - usually when I lose the old pair. I don't own or use a chainsaw at this time, but I s'pect that if I did, I'd use the combo style.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.