1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

ear protection

Post in 'The Gear' started by jeanw, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeanw

jeanw Member

Loc:
    ky
    who makes ear protectors with leather inside instead of vinyl ????
    I tried goggling
    Have some older Peltors now . I know they make ears sweat after a while unless its real cold outside
    Hubby wear the helmet w mesh shield. I need something since I help and usually lifting small logs up off the ground for him to cut to lengths etc
    anyone know......???
    Been woodburning since the late 1980s like the peltor way they are made
    Anyone like the earbuds// esp one with neckband ??
    wanna order two sets one for here other for elsewhere
    thanks all
    Jean

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Sorry I can't help locate the leather ear protectors. But out of all the hearing protection I've tried, I think I like the simple "Roll 'em up and push 'em in" type. They're cheap, disposable, virtually zero weight, you can wear what ever cold weather protection you want over your ears.

http://www.marmicfire.com/browseproducts/LaserLite-reg;-Single-Use-Uncorded-Earplugs.HTML

Something like this has been my favorite. I like the plain, un-corded ones...sometimes the cord makes a "whistling" noise as it moves through the air - or gets caught on things and tugs at the ear plugs
  3. kevin j

kevin j Minister of Fire

Loc:
    minnesota us
    Grainger sells some felt/fleece stick on pads, about 1/16 thick, to stick on ear muffs. They are intended as limited use for cleanliness reasons, like for plant tours of visitors, etc. They might give you the different feel you want. soft fuzzy and cnduct moisture maybe? try grainger.com

I use muffs always, around big diesel and hydr industrial equipment, and at home mowing and sawing. I get pressure in ear canl after long hours with the plugs, and they don't work as well for me. Muffs have better coverage, and they also block sound waves transmitted through the bones around the ear structure. My old (Howard Leight?) are rated 29 db reduction and I think they are close. Soft pads, great coverage. Now part of Peltor or Bilsom I think.

kcj
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.