1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. BlueZero

BlueZero New Member

Loc:
    Green Bay, WI
    Hello Fellow Pelletheads!

My local dealer is having their early buy program, deadline for ordering is April 1st. The problem is I just got my stove installed not long ago and have only managed to use about (10) bags of pellets and only (2) types. As long as I buy (2) tons a year from my local dealer my stove has a lifetime parts replacement. So I would like to order at least (2) tons for now and can pick up the rest as I go. My stove is a Harman P68.

I have mostly used the Uncle Jed's Softwood but was thinking of getting a pallet of the "Red" Western Elite Ponderosa Pine. It's only a few cents more per bag and has a higher BTU rating. I have tried (2) bags of the "Green" DF but it's so more expensive and couldn't tell much difference in just (2) bags.

Thank you for all the great information already posted here. I've learned so much already. I tried to search but didn't find much about Pondeosa Pine pellets.

Thanks,

Scott

P.S. I tried to attached a photo of the early buy list but not sure I did it right. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Pellets.JPG

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Can't go wrong with the Jeds.(AKA La Crete's). Not sure the "Red" would all that much more power than the jeds. And they are pricey, I'd just buy more Jeds and be done with it.

Your Harman should eat any of the Hardwoods with ease, But with them Jeds going for $215? Why bother just load up with them!
    BlueZero likes this.
  3. RhodyPelletRook

RhodyPelletRook New Member

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    Very interesting. This is my first offseason. JTakeman - In the northeast, any recommendations on vendors with similar early buy arrangements? Thank you in advance for any guidance.
    jtakeman likes this.
  4. BlueZero

BlueZero New Member

Loc:
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks for the info jtakeman! I didn't know who made the Jed's. Did a lot of reading on the La Crete's and they look like a well liked pellet.

RhodyPelletRook, I would think most places would do early buys. Other than the big box type stores. My place just sells pellet stoves and grills. The 2014 early buy prices at my place are $4 to $25 a ton less than the normal 2013 prices depending on the pellets. They are showing price increases across the board for 2014.
  5. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    We won't see prices even close to these over here. In general, Pellet house usually start spring early buy(may not be deals for us this season) in late April early May. Might be a bit later with winters grip still grasping the New England region.

I'm not from your area, Don't know of any RI retailers. Maybe another member can help?
  6. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Some look pretty pricey you can buy a lot of parts with that markup. Id be wary of any warranty that requires you to buy from a dealer just my 2c. Pretty easy to charge for a extra 15 min in labor to make up the cost of the part while you "may" have overpaid for pellets in the meantime.
  7. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Member

Loc:
    Southeast Wisconsin
    Earth Sense requires that you join their "pellet club" to get the rock-bottom price ... the dues are $42. So you have to factor that into the price. Buy 4 tons, and you're actually paying $225 and change per ton. This year is shaping up to be an 8-ton year for me, so then the dues start to pay off.

All that aside, Uncle Jed's softwoods are excellent, and Earth Sense stands behind the stuff they sell.

BlueZero, I'm not sure which side of Green Bay you're on, but if you're on the east side of town you might also consider Dan's Wood Pellet Sales up in Brussels as an alternate source. He sells Pro Pellets (hardwood) and Dejno's (hardwood blend), I believe, and has an early-bird sale coming up too.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  8. BlueZero

BlueZero New Member

Loc:
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks for the info everyone.
  9. Former Farmer

Former Farmer Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Wisconsin
    I tried a pallet of the ponderosa pine this winter and the heat was good, but the fines were "gummy" and stuck to the hopper in my insert, making the pellets stick and not slide down like they should. Had to scrap out the hopper with a paint scraper and used steel wool to polish it back to smooth. Then sprayed it down with furniture polish to help make it slippery again. Switched back to the Uncle Jed's and haven't had any problems since.

I purchased 10 ton through the early buy program. Yes, add $42 to belong to the "buyers club", but then I could subtract $70 ($7 per ton) for paying in full right away. Total for 10 ton was $2,002. Six ton is bulk and 4 ton of Uncle Jed's in bags.

Welcome to the forum BlueZero.

I am located 15 miles west of Green Bay, between Pulaski and Seymour. Where are you located?
    Mr._Graybeard likes this.
  10. BlueZero

BlueZero New Member

Loc:
    Green Bay, WI
    Thank you Former Farmer! You saved me from ordering a pallet of the ponderosa pine.
  11. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Member

Loc:
    Southeast Wisconsin
    A vendor near me (not Earth Sense) has those Ponderosa pellets. I think I'll stick with the hardwoods..
  12. BlueZero

BlueZero New Member

Loc:
    Green Bay, WI
    I ended up ordering a ton of Jed's Softwood and a ton of the Bear Mountain Doug Fir.

I am in Suamico. Have you ever tried anything from the pellet place in Seymour? I keep wanting to stop in there and check it out.
  13. Former Farmer

Former Farmer Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Wisconsin
    No, I haven't tried anything from the pellet place in Seymour. I'm not even sure where it is. I am wondering if Dale Maas runs it.

So you went with a ton of the Bear Mountain. Let us know what you think of them compared to the Jed's softwood. I don't think that they would be worth that the extra cost for me.
  14. BlueZero

BlueZero New Member

Loc:
    Green Bay, WI
    It is on Bronson Street across from the cheese factory. I am pretty sure it has something to do with Maas Farms but don't know who that would be. There is a link to the farms on the website. It is seemorecornheat.com. I would like to try some of their Vulcan Softwoods.

Ya, I figured I had to try a top of the line pellet so I had something for comparison. I don't think it would be possible to justify that much extra cost. If my stove glows red with heat and there is no ash maybe I'll reconsider.