"Early buy" in Hudson Valley area of NY....YIKES!!!!! ( EDIT)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

I happen to be driving by the Blue Seal Feed store yesterday on Rt 52 in Fishkill, NY and saw a sign "Early Buy-Wood pellets". I stopped in, but they were closed. The pellets were Energex and they had about 7-8 tons sitting outside.

I called for a price this morning.....early buy price is $325/ton !!!!!! :gulp:

I'd hate to see their "regular" prices. I wonder how long those will be sitting there.........

These dealers are in for a rude awakening come the middle of summer. They will be sitting on those pellets until they revert back to trees unlrss they lower they price to @ 250 to 275 a ton (with delivery included).LOL

Just finished calling 7 other pellet suppliers that I know of (in about a 25 mile radius of my home in the Hudson Valley of NY), and the report isn't good for anyone looking to wait to buy pellets.

The cheapest price I got was $289/ton on O'Malleys. Every other place was higher than that.

The price I was quoted most often was $299/ton, and one place even said $299 was their "early buy" price, and the next load of Lignetics was going to be $312/ton. I mentioned to the guy about how the price of pellets went up last year, and we were told it was because of the "high cost for transportation" (diesel price), but it was funny that the price hasn't come back down since the fuel prices are down. He agreed, and even HE said that he told the pellet company (Lignetics) that their price was too high. Their standard line now is "lack of raw material".

I think my $259/ton is looking better & better. I hope all my pellet head friends out there have either got their pellets already, or have their price locked in and are just waiting for delivery.....if you're waiting for the price to fall, I think you have a long wait, IMO.

I was at a benefit fund raiser this past weekend and one of the raffle items was a 1/2 ton of pellets from a local supplier.

My first thought was "what a cheapskate this guy is, he could donate a hole ton". Then I thought about it s bit more. A half ton retail is almost $150. That's a pretty good donation to the cause.

I suspect the supplier also figure the winner would likely buy the remaining half of the ton at retail.

Unfortunately, I didn't win the raffle.

Mulholland Enterprises, LLC are selling Michigan Pellets for $245 a ton if you buy 5 or more tons and $249 a ton if you buy less.
They are also selling New England Wood Pellets and BioBricks but I'm not sure what the pricing is.
They delivered 5 tons to me and charged $120.00 for delivery.
Their number is 518-893-2165. They are located near Saratoga Springs NY

Natural gas is at a five year low and contracts for delivery this winter are being locked in now by the distributors. Electricity here in NYS which is produced using natural gas is also at a five year low per KW according to today's newspaper. Barrel of oil dropped to $45 and forcasters see no price surge for the rest of the year and OPEC says prices won't recover until 2010. If the current situation holds, pellet dealers won't be able to swing a dead cat without hitting a pallet of overstocked pellets.

minnow said:
Natural gas is at a five year low and contracts for delivery this winter are being locked in now by the distributors. Electricity here in NYS which is produced using natural gas is also at a five year low per KW according to today's newspaper. Barrel of oil dropped to $45 and forcasters see no price surge for the rest of the year and OPEC says prices won't recover until 2010. If the current situation holds, pellet dealers won't be able to swing a dead cat without hitting a pallet of overstocked pellets.

Except for all of those people with big white tanks in their yards. Propane is the only price that doesn't seem to move much. As a coincidental ratio (I don't know if it is are real connections), a gallon of propane used to cost about half what a gallon of diesel cost (for the past 8 years or so). Right now, propane is the same price as diesel. According to the EIA propane stock a near record high.

Give me propane prices less than $2.00/gal. and I'll be using pellets for only the coldest months of the year to keep the house more comfortable than it used to be using just propane. The shoulder months, I'll use just propane.

It's nuts. Where I live, we had a mojor ice storm. Busted trees = firewood galore. If you know someone with some property, you can get fire wood for practiacally nothing if'n you go retrieve it yourself. IF it were me, I'd be throwin my pellet stove in the dump and bringing the wood stove back in if this keeps up. Glad I have a couple years worth saved up.

TboneMan said:
I was at a benefit fund raiser this past weekend and one of the raffle items was a 1/2 ton of pellets from a local supplier.

My first thought was "what a cheapskate this guy is, he could donate a hole ton". Then I thought about it s bit more. A half ton retail is almost $150. That's a pretty good donation to the cause.

I suspect the supplier also figure the winner would likely buy the remaining half of the ton at retail.

Unfortunately, I didn't win the raffle.

That local supplier was Meneilly's Woodland Products we try to help people out by having a low profit margin so half a ton is all we can really afford because we have to sell over 5 tons to get the money back. We currently have the lowest price in the CNY area as far as we can tell. I made a post in the selling area with current prices. The sad thing is last year the manufactures were able to sell every thing they could make so they wont lower the prices.

Meneillys Woodland Products said:
........ I made a post in the selling area with current prices......

That price you have for $248 for NEWP is the best I've seen on a known good pellet.....if I lived in your area and planned on burning pellets this coming winter, I'd be jumping on that price.

If this is what it is gonna be then it's back to the corn for the Drizmaster. Love that multifuel capability I really do. Corn is a little more effort but from what I hear its going for 185 / ton around here so I might as well stock up now and let it get good and dry for winter. For those prices they can try to glue those pellets together and replant them for all of me.

Driz said:
...... but from what I hear its going for 185 / ton around here so I might as well stock up now ........

Driz, I haven't seen any decent corn prices, or else I'd be buying some too....my stove will burn up to 50% corn. If you can find dry, filtered corn for that price, you should post it on the fuel pricing report at the top of the Hearth page.

May sale is $250 a ton cash and carry. I still have some extra loads so if interested call me. Needs to be delivered to a commercial location and you have to unload. The driver does not help or bring a fork lift.

This is the small warehouse and squeezing in just under 300 ton right now. The big warehouse has some also.

Eric
330-448-0300

Attachments

• SANY0431.JPG
    SANY0431.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 670
  • SANY0432.JPG
    SANY0432.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 682
macman said:
Driz said:
...... but from what I hear its going for 185 / ton around here so I might as well stock up now ........

Driz, I haven't seen any decent corn prices, or else I'd be buying some too....my stove will burn up to 50% corn. If you can find dry, filtered corn for that price, you should post it on the fuel pricing report at the top of the Hearth page.

You don't need it filtered Macman. Just make yourself up a screen of 2 by 4's with 1/8" mesh screen stretched across. Just show shovel the corn down it with one end leaning on the tailgate of your truck. The windier the better. That cleans it just fine. Dry corn is darned near impossible to find though. They have to dry it down enough it doesn't rot and time and sun will do the rest.

I saw an Ad today for Northeast pellets made in Ashland Maine, the going price was $239.00 ton.
I think if we hold out and don't buy too early the prices will drop, what were seeing now is left over greed on the part of the pellet mill owners from this past winter.
Heating oil is down to $1.59 gal. I don't like oil but I'm damn sure not going to get reamed for pellets either.

bill

Us New Yorkers pride ourselves in being reamed, that's why I go buy all my gas in nearby Vermont. One thing for sure about NY, if you didn't pay too much for it either it came from somewhere else or you stole it!

I haven't seen those Pot o gold pellets around here before. Who makes them? I even looked it up on the net and they don't come right up. I notice that it says plattsburgh/ albany, ny which is odd. Plattsburgh is 10 miles down the road, Albany is 180 and the guy has been an ebay member since 99 with as score of only 18. I notice that there is no ads recently for such a deal in either the Albany or Plattsburgh/ Adirondack Craigs list. Sounds pretty scammy to me. I think I would want to be within strangling distance before I parted with a dime on this one. It could be legitimate but I anyone interested better approach this one carefully.

Driz said:
I haven't seen those Pot o gold pellets around here before. Who makes them? I even looked it up on the net and they don't come right up. I notice that it says plattsburgh/ albany, ny which is odd. Plattsburgh is 10 miles down the road, Albany is 180 and the guy has been an ebay member since 99 with as score of only 18. I notice that there is no ads recently for such a deal in either the Albany or Plattsburgh/ Adirondack Craigs list. Sounds pretty scammy to me. I think I would want to be within strangling distance before I parted with a dime on this one. It could be legitimate but I anyone interested better approach this one carefully.
I've had phone contact with him a half dozen times in the past couple of weeks. The place of business is in Plattsburg, NY, phone number is 518-497-3381.

Robert Barneswork

24 Trade Rd

Plattsburgh, NY 12901-6217

(518) 497-3381

Listing Details
Job title: Owner

Company: Wood & Wicker

I'm looking at buying a trailer truck load so, if your in the area maybe you could check them out and report back with your findings. Thank you.

wil said:
Driz said:
I've had phone contact with him a half dozen times in the past couple of weeks. The place of business is in Plattsburg, NY, phone number is 518-497-3381.

It must be one of the newer places that has opened recently outside the city and malls to avoid the skyhigh rents. It is about a block from the Clinton County Jail & Sheriffs Dept so I imagine it's legitemate. FWIW it is just off I-87 Exit 38 W, drive to the first set of stop lights (many all across the road). Right at the light about a block to the 1st or 2nd turnoff about a block. It is the common entrance to the Sheriffs Dept I think so you can just follow the sheriff dept signs. I will drop by there either this afternoon or tomorrow and let you guys know what I find. It is good to have a new hearth shop in town. I never could much stand the other guy over behind the old airport as he wouldn't talk to you if you didn't have several hundred dollar bills hanging out of your pocket, all the while he was driving a Porsche. That guy scoffed at pellet stoves too though I bet he sells them again nowdays like everyone else. I will post what I find with the pot o gold pellets and see if he will sell me a single bag to try out.

TboneMan said:
minnow said:

Except for all of those people with big white tanks in their yards. Propane is the only price that doesn't seem to move much. As a coincidental ratio (I don't know if it is are real connections), a gallon of propane used to cost about half what a gallon of diesel cost (for the past 8 years or so). Right now, propane is the same price as diesel. According to the EIA propane stock a near record high.

Give me propane prices less than $2.00/gal. and I'll be using pellets for only the coldest months of the year to keep the house more comfortable than it used to be using just propane. The shoulder months, I'll use just propane.

Propane is now trading close to a 5 year low as well. If even some of that gets passed onto customers, I can't imagine why anyone would buy pellets at these prices if you have a backup fossil fuel setup.

wil said:
Driz said:

Robert Barneswork

24 Trade Rd

Plattsburgh, NY 12901-6217

(518) 497-3381

Listing Details
Job title: Owner

Company: Wood & Wicker

Just so you know I went over there today to trade Rd. There is no such business there. That Wood & Wicker is in Chataguay, NY about 45 miles away over near Malone. I did stop in a couple of the businesses right in the section between 20 and 36 trade road and no one knows of any place in there like that new or otherwise. Not to say its a scam but keep your $$$ in your pocket until you are within PUNCHING DISTANCE. I will keep looking........

I'm looking at buying a trailer truck load so, if your in the area maybe you could check them out and report back with your findings. Thank you.

Not to say its a scam but keep your $$$ in your pocket until you are within PUNCHING DISTANCE. I will keep looking........
Thank you for your efforts, I do plan making the trip to wherever the business is located prior to any money leaving my possesion. The lesson was taught last year around here with the Vt Wood Energy scam, I didn't get caught in the scam because I bought my supply early last spring from them, many did, the ones that were told that Vt Wood Energy would store the purchased pellets until they needed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.