Early review on the Ryobi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Many have read the other thread where I posted asking about cordless string trimmers and I thank all who participated.

As expected, most reviews and most ideas folks have on the cordless are on the models that were prior to this year's output. The most hated thing has been the lack of power and low battery time. So here is my take so far.

Both my wife and I have used it so far but not a lot. It will be getting some good workouts soon though. We've used it for nearly an hour and there is still plenty of battery left so we do not yet know how long we can use it before it needs recharging. One thing is that you can vary the power and that alone will extend the life of the battery.

As for power, it has surprised me. Today I cut several young oak trees that were up to about 8" high. Also cut several blackberry briars and some young witch hazel. Several weeds even including velvet leaf and wild carrot and there is not problem cutting any of this stuff. If cutting just grass it does not need much speed but when cutting the heavy stuff I did run it on full power.

Wishlist was correct when he cautioned me about my wife using it because it does seem to get heavy quite quickly but that also might be because I had the handle placed wrong. I slid it up a bit after I stopped today so we'll see how that goes. My wife used it after I did and she said it was no problem at all. I will make an attempt to find the harness I have for our big weed whacker. Have not used that thing for several years now so will have to do some digging to find it.

That is the only con I have for this unit. I think they should have included a harness rather than just hanging onto it bare handed. A simple harness would not add much to the cost.

Speaking of cost, we paid $149 at Home Cheapo. The list price on them is $169. So far they have been hard to find but the fellow at HD told me they got in a couple dozen units and this is at one of the smaller stores.

Overall, so far I am pleased. I am especially thrilled that I no longer have to pull that starter rope! That gets old fast.

Reactions: smokinj
I am getting one for a Father's Day gift from the wifey. I ask for the Ryobi based on my cord trimmer that has held up very well. But, I am tired of lugging my Honda generator around the property, so I decided to try a cordless.

Thanks for the timely review.

This is the 40 volt model? I was looking into it myself recently. It gets great reviews. Do you think the string size is adequate? A few say that it's a bit thin and may break often.

Well Springer, I cut down some small oaks and witch hazel yesterday. I did wonder about the string and cannot fully answer it because I don't know how quickly I'll have to replace it. I have read where some folks have but don't remember what size they replaced with. When I got the thing they also had a 3 pack of spools next to it with a deal so I figured I'd get one and see how that goes. And yes, this is the 40 volt. As for the power, it seems to have as much as the Stihl that we have.

One thing I forgot to mention is that this is the first one I've had where I felt that I could use it wearing shorts with no leg protection! Must be the placement of the hood as I get very little stuff even on my low shoes. Still, when my wife asked me if she had to wear long leg pants rather than her traditional shorts, I said yes.

Also, normally when I'm weed whacking I will even get some grass on my glasses. Not so with this. I wonder if this also might have something to do with string size?

I got one of these a couple weeks ago. I have some very tough weeds (neglected) around and this thing cuts through it just fine. Probably at least as good as my previous gas model. No gas mixing, no pulling 20 times to start it, no storing gas with Stabil. I like it.

The one thing that could be a problem for some is the string. Ryobi uses the same .065 spool as in it's previous models for compatibility, but it is powerful enough that better string may be in order. I'm going to try some of this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E2D3E4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER string and see if it's better. Still .065 but hopefully tougher.

I also noticed the same problem as some reviewers about the string not advancing as it should. It happens sometimes because the string tends to weld to itself on the spool in places. If you get one of these, you may want to re-spool the string and get those sticky places loose. Maybe the replacement string won't do that.

I also got their 40 volt hedge trimmer at the same time. It's excellent too. It's as good as my corded model, but no cord. On my place, that's important. A little heavier, but manageable.

My experience so far.

MIxing gas a problem on a firewood website?

I use the same gas for my saw as i use in the 2 weedwackers i have.

This thing must have some torqe!
I have one of those cheap $80 gas curved trimmers you can get at lowes or walmart that was given to me. It uses .080 line and that breaks fast and it will go through it. I just restung it with .095 as it can take it as well. Anyway my point here is that small whacker i have struggles with tall grass and anything more than just grass edging around structures. take the thing on a ditch bank or try and get some overgrown weeds and vines and its overworked. Its so lite i have been usesing it this year. But got my commercial Echo gas back out (and its down on power i think) and it was like night and day!!

MIxing gas a problem on a firewood website?

I use the same gas for my saw as i use in the 2 weedwackers i have.

This thing must have some torqe!
I have one of those cheap $80 gas curved trimmers you can get at lowes or walmart that was given to me. It uses .080 line and that breaks fast and it will go through it. I just restung it with .095 as it can take it as well. Anyway my point here is that small whacker i have struggles with tall grass and anything more than just grass edging around structures. take the thing on a ditch bank or try and get some overgrown weeds and vines and its overworked. Its so lite i have been usesing it this year. But got my commercial Echo gas back out (and its down on power i think) and it was like night and day!!

It just depends. The electric have come a very long ways it a few years. Yes the electric is very quick to grab and finish on smaller property's. I have both and even a electric mower to. But you are right if you don't stay on top of the trim work the electric does not make since any more. Oh and I run out of mix all the time and glad I have both.

We purchased a Echo trimmer and that thing has mega power as well as spring assist start in other words one pull starts. It has surpassed my every desire. If you end up with issues it's an option ! It too was from Home Depot. We had a toro battery unit and it held up for about 7 years not bad for a battery unit in my opinion and it had plenty of power to go. We used a strap with the toro ( old belt ) over the shoulder as it was a heavy beast. ( Another thought if its heavy )

Pete

Until these 40 volt jobs came around, I hadn't given much thought to cordless trimmers either. But I thought I'd try these because, like smokinj said, I like to just grab it when I think about it with no fuss or muss or noise and both of these have done everything I have for them.

The 40 volt capacity makes them much more useful than other battery trimmers, but I would not suggest that they are as powerful as the better gas units. Not at all. If you're clearing underbrush from the woods or something, this probably wouldn't be the thing to use.

So we've had ours for a while now and have used it a lot. I have had no problems with the string advancing. Have had no problems at all with it. I will say that if cutting big weeds, 45 minutes is about all you'll get on one charge but I've got as long as an hour on one charge. It does take about 90 minutes to recharge.

I am very satisfied with this trimmer and would recommend it to others. However, I do not think the smaller units would work too well. On just grass trimmings you'll not notice any difference between this and the gas trimmers. In big weeds, the gas trimmers will be faster. Speed is not a concern of mine.

38cc Lesco model I bought in the early nineties, straight shaft .095 line. Turns about 16" of line no problem. Replaced the 50cc MAC that I had before that, now that was a string trimmer. May have to look into one of those cordless for the lighter work, could be handy. A C

I bought the Echo SRM2400 15 years ago. Just replaced the original string cassette last week. Other than that, no issues. Drive shaft version vs the cable drive. Batteries not included, or needed. Batteries will die when overused, or underused. An item that is seasonal will lie dorment for long periods, which is not good for batteries. I wouldn't venture into batteryland on a trimmer.

Keep batteries indoors during winter and no problem. Same thing with cordless screwdrivers.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Status
Not open for further replies.