Early shoulder season weather is a wood burner's purgatory....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
The house temp is in the low 60's, but its 65 degrees outside (near Boston) tonight. Last time I lit a fire like this I smoked the house out getting the draft started. I hate running the furnace when I have all this nice dry wood staring at me and oil is over $2.60/ Gallon. Good thing I have a flexible couple of kids and a wife and dog willing to put up with this, they actually kind of like it chilly in here 'cause when we finally do light the stove it feels twice as good!

Same here last week with forties at night. I just turned on a electric radiator heater upstairs and one downstairs. Two bucks a day worth of electricity to keep the chill off was fine with me. If I had lit the stove I would have roasted us like I have in the past.

I lit up Tue, Wed and Thur this week because we were in the mid 50's all day. Last year it was Oct 14th before my first burn. Burning 2yr old 2" rounds and that's enough for now. No need tonight or Sat AM. Sun AM we're looking at low 30's in the AM. Looks like a Sun AM fire with Coffee and the Sunday Paper... Priceless :)

fire_man said:
The house temp is in the low 60's, but its 65 degrees outside (near Boston) tonight. Last time I lit a fire like this I smoked the house out getting the draft started. I hate running the furnace when I have all this nice dry wood staring at me and oil is over $2.60/ Gallon. Good thing I have a flexible couple of kids and a wife and dog willing to put up with this, they actually kind of like it chilly in here 'cause when we finally do light the stove it feels twice as good!

Take a old blow dryer put it inside the wood stove pointed up the flue then turn on for about 40 - 60 seconds this should do the trick so you don't get smoked out.

zap

I light my propane torch and set it in there for a few seconds.

I haven't had to do that w/ the new liner installed in my chimney tho. I used to do this when my 6 in stove fed into my larger tile chimney.

pen

pen said:

I haven't had to do that w/ the new liner installed in my chimney tho. I used to do this when my 6 in stove fed into my larger tile chimney.

pen

Methinks between the 30 and the liner that the lady's concerns about smoke haven't been a problem?

BrotherBart said:
pen said:

pen

Methinks between the 30 and the liner that the lady's concerns about smoke haven't been a problem?

Ding Ding Ding! You are correct sir. And to think I just had to trust the opinions of the fine folks on this site to learn so much.

So far so good. I sound like such a nerd but I can't wait to measure how much creosote I get to see what a difference there will be.

My wife is very glad that there is no smoke smell but still constantly slowly shakes her head to the left and to the right while looking at me for some reason.

Not sure what that's about but she's done it for a long time

pen

You ain't gonna believe how little stuff is in that pipe. Of course you are gonna be like me and check it all the time. I sweep it twice a season and there is no reason in the world to. This year it may be just once. Wish these dang liners had been around thirty years ago.

You will wonder for the rest of your life how that Fisher would have done with that liner.

The baseboards were on this morning for the first time. That smell of burning dust is really the first sign of fall. Brushing the chimney on Sunday and I don't want to burn for a few more weeks. Played golf this afternoon in shorts and long sleeves. Lovin it.

79 degrees here on Saturday so no fire planned for me.

Same here for the next week. Loving it. It has gotten cold way too early here for the last few years. Plenty of time left for wood burning.

BrotherBart said:
Same here for the next week. Loving it. It has gotten cold way too early here for the last few years. Plenty of time left for wood burning.

Frost for Saturday night and maybe Sunday so we will have a fire on Saturday, fill the wood racks this weekend and top cover four more face cord.

zap

zapny said:
BrotherBart said:

Frost for Saturday night and maybe Sunday so we will have a fire on Saturday, fill the wood racks this weekend and top cover four more face cord.

zap

Same here, are we neighbors???

pen

Would be awesome to have nice warm temps like you all have!

Was just over 20* here when I got home from work Friday morning. It's up to 36* right now though. Almost to the point of being able to run a fire in the stove 24/7. High today was maybe 45*

Yep back up to the 70's and sunny for the next few days... I have the heat pump in "heat" mode now so it'll get as hot during the day as it can (tstat set to 74F), and it hit 83F inside yesterday with all the sun load especially through our sliding glass doors in the living room (south end of the house).

I'm waiting for my new stove to arrive, but even after it's in place, I'm in no hurry to roast myself out of the house after the summer we've had. I'll wait until it really gets cold (with an exception for break in fires, of course).

pen said:
zapny said:
BrotherBart said:

zap

pen

OK Pen where in NE PA ??? I am in Monroe County in the West end... where are you at ?

shawneyboy said:
pen said:
zapny said:
BrotherBart said:

zap

pen

OK Pen where in NE PA ??? I am in Monroe County in the West end... where are you at ?

Susquehanna County. Not quite neighbors, but we do watch the same news :)

pen

We let our fire go out a couple days ago and it looks like a couple more days before it gets going again.

zapny said:
fire_man said:

Take a old blow dryer put it inside the wood stove pointed up the flue then turn on for about 40 - 60 seconds this should do the trick so you don't get smoked out.

zap

Guess I missed the part about "pointed up the flue". Now I got ashes all over the place! :-S I think I'll stick to lighting crumpled up newspapers to warm the flu.

No Tony, I don't believe that. ;-)

stejus said:
I lit up Tue, Wed and Thur this week because we were in the mid 50's all day. Last year it was Oct 14th before my first burn. Burning 2yr old 2" rounds and that's enough for now. No need tonight or Sat AM. Sun AM we're looking at low 30's in the AM. Looks like a Sun AM fire with Coffee and the Sunday Paper... Priceless :)

I was thinking the same thing. Brouhgt in a couple arm loads this afternoon.

zapny said:
BrotherBart said:

zap

started loading the 2010-11 wood onto the attached porch this afternoon. love the smell of fall in NE

Status
Not open for further replies.