Early Spring Check In

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Midwest
Hey all - Just thought I'd stop in any say HI.

Taking a break from processing my first load of scrounged wood this season. A friend called up and told me he had some wood..."a lot of hedge, already cut into logs and seasoned" He doesn't burn wood and ask me if I wanted it. "Heck yes!" I said.

But then, you know, there is that old adage...if it sounds too good, it probably is. So allow me to translate his words into something us wood burners can understand:

"a lot of hedge" - yes there is a lot of hedge...but there is probably twice as much elm!

"already cut into logs" - yes cut into logs ranging from about 6" long to about 26" long...mostly 26" long (the absolute maximum I can squeeze into my stove is about 24". So it looks like I have some re-cutting in the near future! (and a bunch of 2" thick Frisbees to play with until fall)

"seasoned" Well, we all know there is no such thing as seasoned wood unless you have personally witnessed it setting in a pile for a year. No firewood sales guy, tree service, or anyone else has any idea what a truly seasoned log is. Well, this is no exception...they have been cut for a while, the ends have some checks, but they still squish out sap when the splitter digs into the wood.

So my "great deal" isn't quite as good. But, I guess anytime you can get free wood, already on the ground, that is a pretty good deal. I'm certainly happy my friend decided to call me instead of hauling the wood off to the landfill or burning everything in a brush pile.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'll try and check back in as time allows. Got several big projects planned for the summer - one of which is a remodel of the stove room, so we'll see how that goes and maybe post some pics as the project progresses.

Free is my favorite wood species! As long as you didn't have too far to drive to get it...

Chris

A very nice find. Elm is great burning as we have used it for years. Maybe cut those longer 26 inchers into two for some easy fitting wood for the stove. I burn whatever size fits, even the 3-4 inch ends I have sometimes.

I agree with Carl. We've burned elm for many, many moons. As for the 26 inchers, you can also just cut the 2 or 3 inches off but don't throw them away, just throw them into the stove. They will burn just as good and are great on mornings like this morning. In the meantime, using them for frisbees is okay too, but I'd rather do the throwing than the catching.

Status
Not open for further replies.