Early Success

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bewarm

Dec 22, 2011
Midcoast Maine
Just want to share my early success story. I say early because with the mild weather (40+ today), I haven't had a real test yet. In mid November, the propane truck showed up with 200 gallons for roughly $600. I started my annual "I've got to do something different" thinking. I started looking into alternative heating...again. Pellet stoves were my first choice as I don't have a chimney. I only know two people with pellet stoves so my exposure was very limited. During the research, I came across this forum. Honestly, without the information, knowledge and stories on the forum, I don't believe I'd have a stove today. It would have been another expensive season of indecision.

The stove was installed Friday afternoon and the propane hasn't been on since, other than for hot water. The house has been around 73 throughout on 1.5 bags of Cubex. It's actually the first time we've been warm since we moved in 4 years ago!! Can't wait to see the propane truck again...next season!!

Actually looking forward to next weeks cold snap so I can give the stove a good run....crazy??

Now that I've finally made a change, I'm changing my screen name;jumpedtopells

Thanks for the tremendous forum and Happy New Year!!

Congrats on the stove install.....don't forget to post pics, or we'll think it never really happened. ;-)

Enjoy the heat!!!

Congratulations... The gas man hasnt been here in 2 yrs and we still have about 45% in the tank. Been paying $20.28 a yr for "Rental Fee" for there tank. After 2 yrs, I just got a Bill Friday for $99.00 for "No Usage". WTF!!

So depending on how little LP you use, you may want to look into getting 100 gal tanks and filling them yourself. Once my tank is empty (about 2 more yrs) they can come and take it. We only use LP for cooking, so the 100 gal should last about a yr.

Sorry for the rant. Just got it in the mail and still a little bitter.

Looking forward to some pics... Gonna be Cold starting Mon and Tues (high of 18 on Tues here). Will be a true test to put it through its paces. No... Your not Crazy... Keep telling yourself that. I do.... Sometimes it works... But most of the time it doesn't. ;-P

Welcome to the club..

Its all about saving your $$$$.

Best thing I did was purchase my own LP tank(500gal).

It had 200 gals of fuel in it and I payed $400.

No more rental and low usage fees here.

Status
Not open for further replies.