Early Winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatttFire

Feb 14, 2008
Snowbelt, Ohio
I have heard most, if not all the old sayings like, about the amount of pine cones on a tree, or birds eating more food out of the feeder than usual, and on and on and on .........................

I have noticed all of these things, but here we are in AUGUST, and it is 62 outside! It would be okay if this was the end of september, but good god! You look at the skies and it looks like a fall day, and I kid you not my sourgum tree has red leaves on it starting this week! Thats about 2 months early! So I ask you is mother nature screwing with me, or have you noticed the same things if not more. oh yeah and the wet summer we are having ......... I am glad it isn't 30 degrees outside!

Also what other old sayings have you heard about what to look for, for early winter, hard winter blah blah blah ?

Jason

That is the way our August started out last year. Summer lasted all of about a month or two. We ended up with a cool damp fall and cold, long winter.

Hopefully this year will be better. They say the Pacific Ocean is starting to return to normal temps and this La Nina cycle is winding down. The long term models for your area predict above average winter temps at this point.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions//multi_season/13_seasonal_outlooks/color/churchill.php
http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/fxus05.html

We have been below average temps for the whole year so far. I think we are turning the corner as far as globull warming goes. I'm ready for a change in seasons and ready to burn some wood!

yes it was 61 last night. I have noticed some leaves falling from trees. They are still green and healthy looking but falling in the wind. I have also noticed lots of green pine cones falling as well as acorns in my drive way.

skinnykid said:
yes it was 61 last night. I have noticed some leaves falling from trees. They are still green and healthy looking but falling in the wind. I have also noticed lots of green pine cones falling as well as acorns in my drive way.

relaxxxxx........they are falling due to drinking to much water!!!!!!! lololol

iceman said:
skinnykid said:

relaxxxxx........they are falling due to drinking to much water!!!!!!! lololol

i hope so. i love burning my stove but i don't like watching the wood pile shrink. especially early in the season. i have got a pretty good pine stash going for such occasions but prefer for it to take as long as possible for it to get cold, even though i am an ice fisherman and wood burning fanatic

I said to my little lady yesterday. look at all that beautiful wood (fire wood) after all that work, I don't wanna burn it!!!

Kind of a freaky summer here too...rained about 3x a week but lightly so that the ground has a lot of perk=no standing puddles+and excellent garden. About 90min ago I was rained out from cutting '09's wood. Real bad T-storm, a layer of Nichol sized hail, cooler weather now there's standing puddles all over but sunny...I'm cool will it though as this is a more typical CNY summer.

ya it was 49 here in SE mich last night. Old lady wanted me to build a fire, right. Im not building a fire in Aug

Come hell or high water, Winter begins in the Northern Hemisphere on or about December 21st, at the very moment of the Winter Solstice. Everything else is just Mother Nature fiddling with us...or us fiddling with her...or both. Fortunately, we haven't yet managed to seriously impact anything beyond Earth and her Moon (although we're taking a stab at Mars, it seems). The rest of our Solar System, our Galaxy, and the unfathomable Universe just keep on humming along as they have for billions of years before our insignificant blip in time, and will (presumably) continue to do for billions of years after we've poisoned our planet and ourselves out of meaningful existence and there's nobody to remember we were here. Winter will come when it comes, and it'll last as long as it lasts. Be ready to burn. Burn long and prosper. Rick

As Kirk said to Spock, I think you did to much LDS

Hanko said:
As Kirk said to Spock, I think you did to much LDS

I don't think that's my problem...I've only ever had one wife at a time. %-P Rick

According to Accuweather (Joe Bastardi) we are headed for a colder than normal winter in the east half of the U.S.

We too felt that we almost needed a fire to take the chill and damp out of the air but thought better of it. At 1:00 pm today the temperature still had not reached 60, but it has came up since but not by a lot. Very humid. We did finally get some rain yesterday but not enough. Still very, very dry here.

Rick, according to the calendar and astrological things, you are right. However, ask any meteorologist and they will tell you that Spring is March-May, Summer is June-August, Fall is September-November and Winter is December-February. I agree with them.

As for signs, some are starting to show. We always start seeing color in some trees in August. When we lived about 150 miles further north we began seeing red in maple trees always in mid to late July! It is amazing how much color one can see in Michigan in late August every year. This year will be no exception.

I've seen lots of yellows in birch and cottonwood especially but that is due to the dry conditions. Still, it is close to the time when the cottonwoods usually begin showing the yellows. Soft maple, cherry and sumacs usually start showing reds in mid to late August here.

Like Hanko, we have been feeling the cool. Definitely feels like fall in the air. However, soon we'll probably be turning on the air conditioners again. No stove fires here this year until October!!!!!

it runs in cycles....we get all the rain here this summer .... we will have a up and down winter temp wise.......and you heard it here today below avg snowfall for new england...... but temps will be up and down but the ski places will be able to make snow......
YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD WEATHERMAN::::::::::

ICEMAN
thats all folks

Backwoods Savage said:
...Rick, according to the calendar and astrological things, you are right. However, ask any meteorologist and they will tell you that Spring is March-May, Summer is June-August, Fall is September-November and Winter is December-February. I agree with them.

So do I, well close, anyway. Vernal Equinox ~ March 21st, Summer Sostice ~ June 21st, Autumnal Equinox ~ September 21st, and Winter Solstice ~ December 21st. It's got absolutely nothing to do with Astrology, or any other superstition, it's got everything to do with the science of Astronomy, and the Earth's tilt from the plane of its orbit, and its annual travel about the Sun. The temperatures we experience on Earth naturally anticipate or lag behind the actual events in the annual dance of the Earth about the Sun, because the Earth and its atmoshpere and its oceans have considerable (by human standards) thermal mass, but it's by no means consistent throughout our biosphere. Perhaps Meteorologists prefer to speak in terms of "nominal", or "felt" seasons, I dunno, I'm not one. Ask any Astronomer, and he'll tell you just what I've told you. Ask any Astrologist, and he'll tell you your future. :p Rick

Screw astronomers. When it snows here in November, that is winter. Period. Paragraph. :coolsmirk:

BTW: 66 degrees with a cold rain falling here at five p.m. A mite chilly and wet it is.

BrotherBart said:
BTW: 66 degrees with a cold rain falling here at five p.m. A mite chilly and wet it is.

well with all the stoves and saws you have im sure youll stay warm. I ask you before, why so many? stoves that is

Hanko said:
BrotherBart said:

well with all the stoves and saws you have im sure youll stay warm. I ask you before, why so many? stoves that is

One for the main floor. One for the basement office. One for the small warehouse and the pellet stove because I wanted to see what the whoop-t-do was about pellet stoves.

i was wondering that myself, but not enough to buy one

Hanko said:
i was wondering that myself, but not enough to buy one

you guys are funny!!! 66 and rain ......a few more degrees and you'd be thinking about it!!!!! (about 20)
well i know under my covered wood its real cool...... sooooo maybe that means winter will be early
or winter will be early because all this rain and my wood isn't where i want it so i'll be burning partly seasoned come dec, jan or maybe i should start with that stuff and save the 2 cds that are dry for jan?? hmmmmm either way bring winter, summer whatever ....I LIVE IN NEW ENGLAND!!!! where everyday is a different season!!!!

Heard some Canadian geese flying overhead an hour ago, really bad sign for early August. Even my kids commented on hearing them.

Returned from Edmonton Alberta yesterday. Was 32c and humid, :sick: Yuck . Woke up this morning back in the Yukon (thank god) Frost on the deck. So I know it was @ least 0C. Love it. :coolsmile: 16C out now as I type.

iceman said:
you guys are funny!!! 66 and rain ......a few more degrees and you'd be thinking about it!!!!! (about 20)

I don't like 66 degrees in the house in summer any more that I do in winter. Ain't gonna fire a stove but I noticed that around age 60 the old hands and feet started getting real cold sooner than the used to.

BrotherBart said:
iceman said:

I don't like 66 degrees in the house in summer any more that I do in winter. Ain't gonna fire a stove but I noticed that around age 60 the old hands and feet started getting real cold sooner than the used to.

60! and your going like that!!!! wow you are really the sh@@@@
wow i am impressed by you!!!
you are way ahead of some of us younger guys......i never knew......60 wow

Status
Not open for further replies.