Early Xmas splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if I'll get around to adding more trinkets to this splitter or not.
Add an adjustable stroke limiter to lower your cycle time. :)

IM001675.JPG

OP:

Great build. The support braces back to the beam are an excellent idea. The Speeco I have has 4 bolts on the log catcher, 2 like yours has and two in the beam where the wedge slides. The threads pulled out already of one of the ones in the beam. It should be braced like yours is.

Two comments:

Does the log table hinder going vertical if the ground isn't flat?

I would have made it cover more of the motor area and had a lip on it so that nothing would vibrate off onto the motor.

Thanks bandit, it could hinder going vertical at a certain point. Off hand I don't know how many inches it's back from bottom plate, my guess is two to three inches. I honestly don't see myself splitting vertically very much if at all. Trees around here typically dont get too large. I only tried it for 30 min or so but the trade off of not having to pick up round versus squatting on ground working round wasn't comfortable. I don't have hardwoods either which I'm sure are much heavier when green.

Good points on the motor covering and lip. I'll get some more time splitting and make adjustments if issues arise. One idea that I had in the back of mind is a table extension. That sort of hooks or clips to end of the catcher and has a couple adjustable feet. Maybe like 4'x2'. The 4' running lengthwise to splitter.

Just looked em up, very strange. Do they taste good?

I promise these are last pics I'll post till I do anything more significant. Split the last bit of wood I have since I metalized the rack. Am pleased that the splits no longer slide all over and want to fall off. Should never rust as well. Once I build a wood shed this summer and kinda find a permanent home for the splitter I think I will build a large table that can be attached.

Need to go scrounge!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Deer eat them, I don't think people do. Not that I have heard anyway

The table looks great. I'm planning on purchasing a DHT 22 ton soon, and I will be building a table as well. I would like to have one larger like yours. Nicely done.

The table looks great. I'm planning on purchasing a DHT 22 ton soon, and I will be building a table as well. I would like to have one larger like yours. Nicely done.
Thanks, you'll like the dht starts right up and splits really well.

I've got the 27 and I can't fathom splitting without a table. Should be part of every machine, not an add on

Status
Not open for further replies.