Earth stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a thread like this on a other site I seen. It might work to reduce emissions, but I highly doubt it does anything for efficiency. None of the heat produced from the cat is put to the water. Also adding green wood could shock the cat, then there's plugging that could occur. Don't see it working well.

I had one installed on mine before I got rid of it.

This is the 3rd one of this type I have seen. I had the clear-stack, I have a friend with one called clear skies.

The unit uses allot of power to heat the catalyst. It require freaquent cleaning, weekly and 20 below is not allot of fun.

the clear-skies one has lots of issues, my buddy is talking about taking it off.

The back pressure ceated holds stuff in whihc ends up plugging things up if you dont watch it.

I would say it works OK, but not worth the money they are asking.

I got mine through a grant as part of an experiment, they did this locally in order to keep stats on them in our area. We have many inversion days and with fuel costs here people have no choice but to keep buring. They are starting to burn more wisely but there is always those few that burn green wood and trash.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.