Earth stove 100 series Soot Build up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

copper

Nov 25, 2009
Indiana
Hello Everyone,
I am trying to do some research for my Dad, He has an old Series 100 Earth Stove that he has been very happy with for many years.
The problem is that all this time he has had to climb on the roof every month and clean the screen and top 12" because of the soot build up. He says that it will nearly be completely plugged up with soot.
Well, Mom won't let him get on the roof anymore so he is afraid to use the stove and now the fuel bills are becoming a problem.

I think there must be something wrong with his setup or maybe the stove is just too big for his small home. He usually always burns nice seasoned wood. The chimney is triple wall maybe 6 or 7 ft. to the top of the roof then around 5 ft. above the roof.
He probably never gets the heat above 450 deg. as it just make the home to dang hot. I would bet that it is even lower through the night.
He uses some kind of additive that is supposed to help with the build up, don't know what brand. I guess it is supposed to dry out the soot.

Any suggestions on what I should do to help him out.

Thanks
Brad

It sounds like you may have answered your own question in that he burns too slowly with the old, non-epa stove.

Perhaps a nice englander 13nc would be in order? The new EPA stoves burn much cleaner than the old ones. Also, if it is sized appropriately he won't need to choke it down further enhancing the clean-chimney-trifecta --> Seasoned wood, hot chimney, epa stove.

BTW, what classifies for seasoned wood around your parts?

pen

Here's a pic of the stove I mention

794909501330.jpg

The price is 799. W/ the 30% tax credit that will come out to about 560 + local tax after tax time.

Heat's 1800 square foot. Lots of people are happy with them here.

Lots of equivalent stoves on the market, but this is the best bang for the buck for a truly quality unit.

Here's the webpage add from lowes

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=8492-76845-50-SNC13LC&lpage=none

copper said:
Hello Everyone,
I am trying to do some research for my Dad, He has an old Series 100 Earth Stove that he has been very happy with for many years.
The problem is that all this time he has had to climb on the roof every month and clean the screen and top 12" because of the soot build up. He says that it will nearly be completely plugged up with soot.
Well, Mom won't let him get on the roof anymore so he is afraid to use the stove and now the fuel bills are becoming a problem.

I think there must be something wrong with his setup or maybe the stove is just too big for his small home. He usually always burns nice seasoned wood. The chimney is triple wall maybe 6 or 7 ft. to the top of the roof then around 5 ft. above the roof.
He probably never gets the heat above 450 deg. as it just make the home to dang hot. I would bet that it is even lower through the night.
He uses some kind of additive that is supposed to help with the build up, don't know what brand. I guess it is supposed to dry out the soot.

Any suggestions on what I should do to help him out.

Thanks
Brad

Had one of these in our living room as a kid. It's a beast and can put out the heat ... but it also put out a ton of smoke which created a chimney-full of creasote. Even while burning dry, seasoned wood, we had a couple of scary chimney fires

I recently told my chimney sweep about the old Earth Stove. He said he still sees a few ... and that they are always full of creasote.

An EPA stove like the Englander is the way to go. It's not only the best bang for the buck ... it may save a life!

I got my englander/timber ridge/summers heat/no name (see pen's post) from a distributor on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/TIMBER-RIDGE-50...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4143afe09c

$631 delivered to your door !

Mine had taken a thumping somewhere between englandstove factory and my place.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/38697/P22/#487218

So after calculating the cost of shipping the stove back and shipping a new stove I offered to give them a $336 discount on the price they charged me. Check came in the mail a few days later and I have a great little stove for not many dollars - oh, & don't forget the tax credit :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.