Earth Stove 100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhntr1963

Jan 7, 2009
Nevada
I recently was given a earth stove. There is a pipe that comes from the back of the stove and 90's up the chimney. What is this for? Also there is a dial on the right side facing the front that has h-m-l what is this for? I appreciate any and all info.

The H-M-L is Hi-Med-Low. There is a bi-metallic spring that adjusts air intake when the stove heats up and cools down. Its an attempt at a thermostat. The pipe that juts up the stack has always been a question to me. I still don't know why its there.

Does yours have a little "coat hanger" type wire on the top/back of the stove? If so, that is a manual bypass for startup that over rides the thermostat setting. Make sure the door of the air intake (back of stove) moves easily as well. You don't want that sucker sticking open.

Status
Not open for further replies.