Earth Stove 1000 Series

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics? I had an Earth Stove of that vintage at my previous house. Left it behind when we moved because l would have had to add a house onto my new house to meet clearance requirements, but it was a massive heater. (Heated the whole place from the basement)

I will post pics later but I got this from an older farmer guy that bought it new and used it only on holidays in his front room then switched to a gas one. It's been in a shed covered up for maybe 30 years. great shape just a little surface rust.

Oh I didn't mention the best part the said it looked charming and it was free all I have to do is fix a door on one of his outbuildings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a winner. I don't have a ton of info because I only burned mine for the first two winters in my old house. Those would have been '03 and '04, and I was 24 years old with no knowledge, and no internet to gain free knowledge. After that I had my OWB installed. I still feel guilty about leaving that stove behind, but to this day I have no idea what I would be doing with it. I imagine one of the mods will move this to the classics forum and you'll get a lot more help. Congrats on the stove decision though. It'll save you a ton of work and firewood vs. your first idea, and keep you warmer.

2003, 2004

OK that's like yesterday to me.

I left an Warm Morning in my first house I bought it was a good heater I sold that house in 88'

Last edited by a moderator:
Heatsoura little at: 1970603 said:
ok, the better ones were made alot later than that.

its a low efficiency stove, what hearth.comers call a smoke dragon.
I cleaned it up alittle and fired it up work great. What did they change on them to make them better.

Does the ES 1000 have a baffle above the firebrick? Baffling and a secondary reburn system help burn up the flue gases that normally go out the chimney as smoke. This reburnt wood gas puts out a lot of heat that was usually wasted in old stoves. Some folks have retrofitted old stoves and if done right they have seen a nice improvement in heating and a reduction in wood consumption. Almost all modern stoves now have a reburn system.

This one doesn't have a baffle. I thought it looked like it should have something there. It doesn't look like it would be super hard to put one in.

Prolly not. That would be a first step.

This stove has a 7" flue planning on using 7" single wall then adapting up to my 8" double wall. Also for the hearth I'm planning on 8" block layed on there face open on sides with the with a brick veneer on the front and top.

Status
Not open for further replies.