Earth stove 2800HT question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bcompton53

Oct 21, 2020
Kansas
I bought a house with an earth stove 2800ht insert installed. I'm coming from a quadrafire 3100 freestanding wood stove. They seem to burn fairly similarly, however I don't know how to gauge the temperature of the stove. In other words, on my 3100, It was easy to have a stove top thermo and a stove pipe thermo always telling me how it's running. On the earth stove, there isn't really a place to put the thermometers at all. on the "stove top" there is air moving from the fan. Above the air outlet there is a flat vertical surface, but it is also affected by air from the Fan, and it's a very questionable reading anyway. Does anyone have any advice? Also any other comments about the 2800ht would be great as well. It seems to be barely used.

Stovetop temp is harder to measure when the stove has a convective lid or jacket design. This issue is common with most inserts. If there is room try putting a 2" dial thermometer on the face of the stove above the door. Stove liner temp is even more challenging. One good method is with a digital thermometer and a remote probe.

Stovetop temp is harder to measure when the stove has a convective lid or jacket design. This issue is common with most inserts. If there is room try putting a 2" dial thermometer on the face of the stove above the door. Stove liner temp is even more challenging. One good method is with a digital thermometer and a remote probe.
I had thought about pulling the insert out and putting a sensor on, or in, the pipe, but having never removed an insert, I'm a little nervous about doing that without causing issue.

I had thought about pulling the insert out and putting a sensor on, or in, the pipe, but having never removed an insert, I'm a little nervous about doing that without causing issue.
Can you just pull the surround?

So I pulled the surround. Behind it is a flex pipe. So, somehow I need a remote thermometer setup. Any proven systems?
Auber instruments

I ordered the auber gauge. I ordered the Washer style sensor. I'm assuming the stove connector piece is single walled and I can install the sensor there (with a screw). Otherwise it's flex pipe.