Earth Stove 906/1002

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverLogger

Sep 2, 2009
Western Oregon
Hello All,

I'm thinking of buying a stove for my shop and have a friend who just removed an Earth Stove 906/1002 from a rental he had. Does anybody know anything about this particular model. It says made in Wilsonville Oregon on it so I know its an older model made before Lennox took over. The door folds down so to speak versus swinging open to the side. Hope some of you can help, and any info you have would be great as I cant seem to find anything at all online.

Thanks a bunch,

RL

River, parts will not be available for this stove, and it also does not meet epa requirements. Its what users here refer to as a "smoke dragon". They waste wood, and pollute. Englander makes modern stoves that burn clean and efficiently for around $900 brand new. Also, that old stove is probably on 8" chimney, which is substantially more then the modern 6" chimney. I would keep lookin unless this is free with a free chimney.

I also seriously doubt this stove is certified to be reinstalled in OR.

The stove in the thread you provided actually looks nothing like the stove I'm looking at. Mine looks way more modern and has glass in the door. The tag on the back says it is a model 906/1002. Thanks for the thread though as I learned a little about the Earth Stove in general. I believe this stove also has no baffle or anything, you can look through the top directly in to the firebox.

Thanks Again,

RL

RiverLogger said:
I believe this stove also has no baffle or anything, you can look through the top directly in to the firebox.

Smoke Dragon for sure then. I do not think those are allowed to be installed in OR anymore, you would have to double check on that. If he is wanting more than $100 for it I would take that money and save towards buying a newer EPA stove, many can be had in the $600-$900 range with the tax credit.

Smoke Dragon for sure then.

Is this a nickname for this type of stove, or for the specific stove I'm talking about? The stove doesnt look to be real old, like possibly made in the late 80's. It is a dark gray color, not matte black like most stoves.

RiverLogger said:
The stove in the thread you provided actually looks nothing like the stove I'm looking at. Mine looks way more modern and has glass in the door. The tag on the back says it is a model 906/1002. Thanks for the thread though as I learned a little about the Earth Stove in general. I believe this stove also has no baffle or anything, you can look through the top directly in to the firebox.

Thanks Again,

RL

There is not a real good record of all the Earth stove models in one spot. The model number 1002 with either a "c" or "HT" following would indicate an early EPA listed stove that would either have a cat or baffle in it. You are not indicating that it has either of those letters behind the 1002. Also, the door swinging down instead of to the right would indicate a pre-epa stove smoke dragon. Being able to see the firebox from the flue opening is telling us that either it is a pre-epa stove or that parts are missing. If it is a pre-epa stove, I would pass it up, and hold out for a newer model. If it does have either the "c" or "HT" behind the 1002, then it might be worth another look.

Here is a link to what Lennox has on their site for discontinued models:

http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/owners/manuals.asp?pcid=3&archive=1

Do a google search for earth stove 1002 to find very limited info on the pre-epa 1002.

Posting a photo might help us id the stove.

Good luck

What kind of shop are you putting this in?
You might better check your local codes & with your insurance company.
Solid fuel burning units can be a SEVERE FIRE HAZARD in shop environments...
Specially if you're working with anything that might turn into a BOMB - gasoline, paint thinners, etc.

76-128 Gasket Kit, 1 1/4" Door (includes adhesive)
27M80H Gasket Kit, Glass (3/8" x 1/8" flat x 16' of 01098)
G1002-1 Glass, 6 1/2 x 11, Neo-Ceram Pane (gasket not included)
14M22 Blower, Room Air, 820 (includes Dial-A-Temp)
14440 Rheostat, Dial-A-Temp
14M21 Stove Stat Kit, 18840 (thermally activates blower)
14M67 Duct, Floor, 78-35 (5 1/4" square)
C-200-51 Hook, Damper
70K99 Paint, Metallic Black, 12 oz Spray Can, 76-141MB (#6309)

these are the parts lennox used to offer, now even less.

the 906/1002b was only made 83/84 so there wen't many made, i dont even have a manual for this model!
Freestand w/ Pedestal, 6" Flue, Residential / Mobile Home, Non-EPA

Wood Heat Stoves said:
the 906/1002b was only made 83/84 so there wen't many made, i dont even have a manual for this model!
Freestand w/ Pedestal, 6" Flue, Residential / Mobile Home, Non-EPA

Well, the pedestal explains the more modern look. If this is what it is, I would pass it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.