Earth stove burning problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

youngster

Feb 13, 2008
michigan
I guys and gals. I'm new to this forum. I grew up with my dad burning wood and my grand parents have a wood furnace. Ive been around it all my life. I just bought a earth stove model 100 from a friend. My problem is that every time I shut the door the fire goes out. If I leave the door cracked the fire burns good. As soon as you close the door tight puff the fire chokes out. I have the damper on high and it is clear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

youngster said:
I guys and gals. I'm new to this forum. I grew up with my dad burning wood and my grand parents have a wood furnace. Ive been around it all my life. I just bought a earth stove model 100 from a friend. My problem is that every time I shut the door the fire goes out. If I leave the door cracked the fire burns good. As soon as you close the door tight puff the fire chokes out. I have the damper on high and it is clear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is your chimney clean and do you have a good draft?

Ray

I agree, what does your chimney look like? Whats the amient temp? I can't get a good draft on a 70* day but on a 40* day I can suck air from anywhere.. Whats your wood source? Green wood will act that way as well.. My grandfather burns an earthstove insert and its been a great stove.

Jason

do you have the air intake blocked it is in the back on that stove I believe. Mine would go out if if I put wood in carelessly and blocked it off. Also is the metal flap on the back over the air damper open (up) or is it closed (down)? I always burned mine with it in the open.

I don't have any idea the temp. I'm pretty sure the chimney is clear. I have to get up on the roof to check for sure. The back of the stove is clear. I'll be honest the inside was pretty full of ash I cleaned the stove out good today. I am burning aged walnut, oak, and popul (I think its popul). It is burning a little better today, but still not what I am used to. Thanks for the replies.

Do you have an air inlet under the door? When I got mine, the thing was full of ash, and the way the air inlet was designed, it wasn't easy to get out.
I know it sounds red-neck, but I rigged up a piece of old garden hose to the vaccum to get it all out and clear the air way.

Status
Not open for further replies.