Earth Stove bv400c

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbossman73

Jan 8, 2011
West Texas
Can any one out there who has this model be kind enough to give me a short run down on how they run it? It has a cat thermometer, but where do i take the stove temp at, and with what? I know the cat will run hotter that firebox. I just got the unit and am planning to install this weekend and dont want to burn the house down. About what is a good range as far as temps go? So any advice from someone who has run this unit would be a great help. Thank You and God Bless

Sorry....the board are so busy that posts are scrolling off too fast!
I have never burned one....but you can probably find a lot of stuff here (use the site search or forum search) about burning catalytic stoves in general....I think that one has a cat!
Here is an article I wrote:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/tending_a_wood_fire
which gives the basics.

As to the range of temps, that depends on where the thermometer is located. If the stove part that sticks out is single wall it could get up to 600-700 degrees easily. 500 is probably a nice even and ideal range, but no biggie if it hits much higher for short period...especially if the cat converter is located underneath that piece of extension metal on the top.

do you need a copy of the owners or service manual?
if so, pm me your
make,model, email address.

great stove, but if it still has the original blowers, be sure not to run the unit with power off or the fan blades will melt( duh earthstove, plastic blades will Melt!)

Manual says minimum operating temperature of 600. The temp probe on my BV400 is a brass bucket with temp coil inside. The top of coil has a pointed end but doesn't point to placard or temperature scale of any kind. How do you determine the operating temperature on a BV400?

I've searched unsuccessfully for an image of the BV100 temperature probe. I found a replacement probe for $78 but unable to determine if it has temperature scale. http://woodheatstoves.com/catalytic-probebv400c-p-7582.html?cPath=499_502 A universal probe is $20 from Condar. Does anyone have a photo of BV100 catalytic temperature probe?

Status
Not open for further replies.