EARTH STOVE FROM THE 1980's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your probably talking about the damper. They were hooked up to a coil spring like the old heat riser on the exhaust manifold on a engine.
They had a closed setting to full open. Set it wherever and it should adjust by the spring expanding and contracting. You will have to experiment according to desired temp.

Does anyone know what the flap on the back of my Earth Stove is for and what position it should be in?

Thanks Len

A picture would probably help

Osage nailed it. The damper is probably connected to a knob that preloads a heat sensitive coil. As things warm up, the damper is supposed to react and start to close the intake. They were kinda notorious for sticking as they age.
You can see it in this pic in its wide open position. (I was turning my retired stove into a pool heater).

Attachments

• heater 003.jpg
    heater 003.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 530
Our first Earth stove had both a thermostatic air control, and a flapper that shut off all the air. If that is the flapper you are talking about, it should be open while you are burning, closed when not.

Status
Not open for further replies.