Earth Stove MP35-50 Having Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While you were up there did you get a good look at the cap to make sure it isn't down on the flue too far?

Contractor now refuses to extend the flue. He claims it just has to be a minimum of 24" above the roof where it penetrates. Everything I read states that. But it also says a minimum of 24" above anything within 10' horizontally from the penetration.

I tried showing them to the contractor and he won't believe it. Getting real tired of waiting. Need some advice.

Joshuabienlein said:
Contractor now refuses to extend the flue. He claims it just has to be a minimum of 24" above the roof where it penetrates. Everything I read states that. But it also says a minimum of 24" above anything within 10' horizontally from the penetration.

I tried showing them to the contractor and he won't believe it. Getting real tired of waiting. Need some advice.

Don't pay another cent to them until they fix it. If you already paid in full, maybe you could hire someone else? Threaten legal action, but if you want to use the original contractor that may be a bad idea.

Contractor finally agreed to fix it, installed another 36" section and re capped it. They supported it with what looks like wire coming off from the top part of the pipe down to the roof in 3 spots. Is this correct? I figured the support would be more rigid?

Sorry,
I just saw this thread.

I have the same stove. The only time we have had problems with smoke coming out of the hopper is when we lose power or when strong winds blow back into the stove. We only have about 6 ft of horizontal pipe directly up the side of the house after a "T" that comes right out of the house. Obviously we vent from the rear of the stove and you vent from the top. The hopper gasket is worthless on this stove. Its a piece of foam and all it does is get in the way and then starts to break away over time. There is no locking mechanism that clamps the door down..Only the slight weight of the hopper door.

A couple of things. This stove is VERY easy to clean however, I found there is one location that can build up with a lot of black gunk. It sticks to the walls and its like a powder so its easy to scrape away. On our stove, we have a cover where your vent pipe connects. Each year I take this plate off and clean the day lights out of the very narrow passage way(s) on the right and the left. Its only about 1 to 1 1/2" high. The smoke/heat comes up out of the stove on the right, goes above the baffle and across the heat exchangers and travels to the far left hand side back of the stove. This area can be accessed with a brush and an air compressor (have a vac running and get ready to get dirty)

This area could be the restriction area that is causing you grief.

If you search for my threads you will see I have had issues with the stove although not smoke issues unless its windy. I have done a lot of testing of pellets and I find that Hamer's Hot Ones seem to work the best with the least amount of tending...Other brands fair worse and I need to stir/knock off clinkers on either side of the fire pot about once a day. With the Hamer's this was not really needed. Stay away from Lignetics. These seem to be up there as the worse in recent years because of clogs with spongy clinkers. for about 8 years I burned them exclusively with little issue. And that was before I cleaned my stove! LOL.

I have thought about replacing the combustion fan and came real close - I figured that the motor was wearing down from so many years of use ..but last year I replaced the fire pot and logs and that used up the budget for the stove for a while. This year I cracked the glass in the corner somehow....It just cracked after I started a fire. So far these have been the only replacements. (knock on wood)

Let me know how it works out for you.

Joshuabienlein said:
Contractor finally agreed to fix it, installed another 36" section and re capped it. They supported it with what looks like wire coming off from the top part of the pipe down to the roof in 3 spots. Is this correct? I figured the support would be more rigid?

I think that they guyed it off so that the wind won't bend it over. That should be fine provided there are three and they are equally spaced around the chimney.

Have you fired it up yet?

If you have how is it working?

Yes I have fired it up, since the extension. The first burn there was a little smoke in the beginning and went away. The second burn i changed the combustion fan shutter and opened it a little more and not an ounce of smoke. It burned for 12 hours problem free. Talk about a hot house too lol. On low for that matter. Burned the next day after and no smoke at all.seems everything works great now and the problem was indeed a downdraft. I appreciate your help, I'm very happy with the outcome. I'll update the forum every so often and let everyone know how it's goin!

A number of the older stoves really needed a good natural draft from the git go as they have low flow combustion blowers.

Glad I could be of help, by all means let us know how it is going and drop by just to read the threads and chat awhile.

Just reading this thread makes me miss my Earth Stove. My old Traditions TP40 gave us many years of trouble free operation. Not really a miser on pellets, but it burned anything that even resembled a pellet. I went so far as to have the control board rebuilt last February before I realized that we had burned through a couple of heat exchanger tubes, which proved to be terminal. I would have spent a few hundred to replace that assembly...I came across one on Craigslist (clear across the country), but the guy was not willing to part out the assembly for $300 + shipping. It's a shame that Lennox discontinued the line soon after buying out Earth Stove.

Good luck, you have a diehard of a stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.