Q&A Earth stove problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have an earth stove insert and have been using it for four+ years. I have notice recently that I get "puffs" back through the air intake vents when I have the the catalytic converter in use. I have the stove hot enough- and the flue is clean- but can't seem to eradicate this problem. Could the converter be bad? I can't find a telephone number for earth stove to call them. Hope you can help.

Answer:

This back puffing is the delayed ignition of the woods' combustible gases.This could caused by a number of factors including:
1. The converter could still be dirty even if the chimney is cleaned.
2.Certain wood- especially softwoods and wood that is too dry can cause backpuffing
3. The chimney draft could be to strong...You may be able to spoil the draft by making sure the unit is not sealed tightly to the fireplace.
4. Insufficient secondary air - most stove designs allow for some air to be introduced to the fire below the converter. Often the user can adjust this control...in other designs it is fixed. Ask you dealer or Earth Stove.Earth Stoves Phone # is r(503) 692-3991

http://www.earthstove.com

Link: Earth Stove

Status
Not open for further replies.