Earth Stove questions for MH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingofthewoods

Nov 2, 2008
S.W. CO.
I recently purchased a used Earth Stove model 901/ 905 manufactured for mobile homes. This stove has a large hole in the bottom for a hole in the floor for fresh air intake(?), and has a 1 1/4 inch pipe that goes up the chimney. It also has no air flow control externally other than the door which, when closed, appears to be airtight.
I have not installed it yet, but started a fire in it outside to try and figure out what the hole in the bottom was for and what the pipe in the chimney was for. Neither one seemed to have any impact as far as I could see, and when I shut the door, it always immediately began to smother the fire.

Can anyone explain to me what these features are, how they work, and whether or not I MUST cut a hole in the floor or if I can find another way of having sufficient air intake.

there should be an air control on it that has L M H it has a BI-metal coil in it and is controlled by how hot it gets, the pipe in the bottom is probably a fresh air intake an early version of an OAK (outside air kit). the 1 1/4" pipe going in to the chimney is so that when it is smoldering and the air is shut down it can still draw air to clear out the chimney so you get less creosote in theory. I had an Earth Stove before getting my Summit. It worked good but it did eat more than my new stove.

the air control looked like this on mine yours should have something similar.

Attachments

• stove back.JPG
    stove back.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 2,000
  • stove control.JPG
    stove control.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,172
crazy_dan, thanks a lot! That is definitely the stove! Since the hole in the bottom is an early version of an OAK, I don't need a hole in the floor? I gather it just takes in air from the room- my mobile isn't exactly air tight!!!

Dave, thanks for the links. I will check them out.

on mine there was a flap that needed to be opened so it could draw air in to the fire it had a wire that held it open and you can see that wire in the 1st picture twords to top of the of picture.
you can see the flap in the second picture just above the air control knob.

anyway here is a picture of the front of the stove

Attachments

• wood stove2.JPG
    wood stove2.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 2,242
Status
Not open for further replies.