Earth Stove Questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterb

Dec 1, 2009
utah
Hello all, I am new here so correct me if I am asking these questions in the wrong forum. I recently purchased a home that has a wood burning fireplace insert. All I can tell is that it is an Earth Stove. I have attached a picture, as I am having trouble figuring out which model I have. I'm pretty sure that it is the BV400-C but I am not sure. The main thing that I am trying to figure out, is if it has a catalytic combustor. I located and read the owners manual for the BV400-C, which looks almost identical to mine. It states that once the fire is burning above 600 degrees to shut the flue and let the combustor do it's work. However, I am hesitant to shut the flue with a fire going until I know for sure whether there is a combustor present or not. Does anybody here know how I would find this out? I am pretty sure that there is one, but the manual says to check the 'catalytic temperature probe' for the temperature before shutting the flue, and I do not have anything that resembles a thermometer or temperature probe on this fireplace insert. Does anybody here recognize this model by the picture attached? Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 379
Looks like one to me, if this is a new house I would have a chimney sweep come by and inspect that setup to see if it is ready to be used. That model does have a cat in it and might need maintenance, again the sweep could check this out for you.

Pull that insert out and read the UL tag on the side or back, that should list the model #. And while you have the surround panels off you will be able to see if they have a liner attached to the stove.

It is not a new house, that is the best picture that I have of it right now though. That was during move-in week when I was doing some painting and such. The insert had definitely been used when I got the place, and it does seem very clean. Is it just supposed to pull out of the wall? I haven't even tried that, but I didn't install it and pulling the thing out of the wall is definitely over my head. Was there possibly some sort of thermometer that came with it that the other homeowner didn't happen to mention? The lack of whatever this 'catalytic temperature probe' that the owners manual makes reference to is the only thing making me unsure of whether it has the combustor or not...

Thanks for the quick reply too!

Status
Not open for further replies.