Earth Stove replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_dan

Dec 26, 2007
Missouri
I have an Earth Stove made in 197? I bought it about 9 years ago from my wifes grandparents who burned it 24/7 from the day they bought it new and have burned it 24/7 since I bought it from them. well it is finnaly wearing out and I need to replace it.
I have a 1400 sq ft 2 story farm house not very well insulated and was wanting sugestions.
I am thinking of going with an Englander 39-NC with a room air blower I have never seen one of these stoves in action and do not know anybody with one.
so some thaughts on that stove would also be nice
Thanks

Could that be an Englander model 30-NC? If yes, it is proving itself to be a good heater, especially in its price range. It's a big stove for 1400 sq ft., but should do the job and then some. Search the forum for Englander 30 and I think you will find several postings. Member BrotherBart was the first to try one here and has some glowing reports about it.

No "glowing" BG but lots of heating. :lol:

The 30-NC is doing a good job for us. Run right it can cruise along at five hundred degrees which is what we need most of the time once the house is warmed up. When needed you can kick it up and it will toss a lot of heat. The large mass of the stove stores heat well and generates warmth long after the fire dies down. I generally do our overnight burns with three large oak splits. Really large oak splits.

The blower makes a heating monster out of the stove. On mid-twenties to low thirty degree nights the bedrooms at the far ends of the upstairs hang out at 70+ with the blower about as low as it will go. In fact the problem is building the overnight burn without having 75 degree and over bedrooms in the middle of the night. House is a 2,500 sq. ft. center hall colonial and pretty well insulated. We don't have nasty cold weather except in Jan. and Feb. but last year the hoss kept the place plenty warm around the clock. I got over the secondary burn light show madness the first season and now we just burn it by the book. Get it up to desired temp, lower the air to about a quarter and watch the pretty flames to their thing. Kinda like a big steel fireplace. With the very large unobstructed view the stove has that is better than shutting it down and watching a bunch of fire up at the top under the burn tubes.

If ash pan usage is high on your list I would suggest a different stove. The ash pan plug in the stove is a pain in the butt and the pan itself is small. I never use it anyway.

I do not have an ash pan now and it really doesn't matter to me and the way it looks to me the ash pan would be a bigger pan than just racking and shoveling.
I know it is over sized but my house was started back in 1855 as a one room log cabin and has been added on to 7 times by different owners since of varying degree of knowledge so even some of the interior walls are cold when it is cold outside. in process of fixing it as I can aford it so I do not believe a stove rated for 1400 - 1500 sq ft would keep up and it is the only heat source in this house.
and yes it is an englander 30-NC sorry for the type-o

BrotherBart said:
No "glowing" BG but lots of heating. :lol:

Well at least some "hot" reports about the stove. Good to know it's not glowing. :)

my other choce is a pacific energy super 27 and I am told it has a cook top unlike some of the epa stoves
also what are your feelings on outside air kits it does make sence to use air not already heated but as we all know sometimes things look better on paper

No, no. The Super 27 has no more of a "cook top" than the 30-NC and is a smaller stove. If you want a similarly sized firebox you need to look at the PE Summit. The plate steel top on the 30-NC is all the cook top you could ask for.

As to the outside air, it depends on you local regulations. Here it's required. But if not, and you are in a leaky box, I wouldn't worry about it. Put the money into insulation and caulking (seriously!). Then you can worry about it.

I live in the middle of nowhere and there is no code here.
any sugestions and yes price is a factor as we are a 1 income home with 2 kids wife is a fultime student.
old 2 story farm house not very insulated and is 1400-1500 sq ft and wood stove is the only heat source in it

Welcome Dan,

Just had to say I am envious, you have some great toys at your disposal to make that stove happy! :coolcheese:

Dan, it sounds like the Englander 30-NC is your stove. If you can't wait, order it online via www.acehardwareoutlet.com or http://overstockstoves.com/ $799 delivered.

If you're not in a hurry and have a Home Depot or Lowes nearby, check to see if they usually stock the 30-NC. (It may be listed under the Englander or Summer's Heat or TimberRidge brand). If yes, call or check weekly for when the big box stores start putting these stoves on sale to clear out space for summer garden stuff. It will be soon and you might save a bit more.

There are Lowes, Home Depot, Sutherlands, Ace hardware all around and avalible. I like sutherlands as it is the closest and Have found that their prices are within a couple dollars of lowes or home depot some times less some times more but are 10 miles closer than Lowes and 20 miles closer than Home Depot was hoping one of the englander guys would have chimed in and told me more about their stove.
also I am in no big hurry as I have welded all of the cracks that have devloped this year noticed one about 3" no seperation off the bottom corner of the door opening then when welding that one looked at the other corners of the door opening and found another 1.5" crack on the other bottom corner and both the top corners had the welds for the corner trim (angle iron that seals the door) had stated to seperate. seems my welds are holding and it did not crack next to the weld I guess after 30 years of being burned 24/7 as the only source of heat in the wifes grandparents home and mine has just fatiged the metal and it is time to replace it so it will be in the shed next winter. I kinda have mixed feelings about retiring my old friend but it is tired.

Jim Walsh said:
Welcome Dan,

Just had to say I am envious, you have some great toys at your disposal to make that stove happy! :coolcheese:

love it when you get bad weather and people go out and buy things like chainsaws and generators then sell them for a huge loss in 2 months.
the only thing I bought new was my 345 and log spliter the rest were bought at auctions for less that 50% retail with little use on them. I got both Stihls for $50 at one auction bad weather and auctioneer was in a hurry so he lumped them together started it at $50 so I bid and nobody else did just got lucky

[quote ]author="crazy_dan" date="1198980464the only thing I bought new was my 345 and log spliter the rest were bought at auctions for less that 50% retail with little use on them. I got both Stihls for $50 at one auction bad weather and auctioneer was in a hurry so he lumped them together started it at $50 so I bid and nobody else did just got lucky[/quote]

Now I am REALLY envious.

We've been looking for a used backup saw, there was a 2 year old Stihl MS 250 on EBAY that was very local to us and sold for $180.00. Damn those babies hold their value.

Status
Not open for further replies.