earth stove t-100 help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trimmer15

Oct 22, 2015
michigan
Hello im new to the page. I'm a tree trimmer by trade so i have an unlimited supply if wood and i just bought my first home. it came with a earth stove. I grew up with a fire place insert and a wood stove so i have a firm grasp I how they work, however I'm having trouble gettkng this stove hot and i can find little to no info on it. The problem is, loaded with the door closed it is nearly impossible to get the thermometer above 200 degrees but with the door cracked 350 is no problem. Does anybody have any information on efficiency or btu output? Any suggestions on why i am having problem getting it hot with the door closed?

- no ash tray
-draft control is above the flame

Heres pictures of the stove

Attachments

• 20151023_192212.jpg
    20151023_192212.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 412
  • 20151023_192247.jpg
    20151023_192247.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 618
Welcome. Have you tested the wood for moisture content? The secret to a hot burn is dry wood. That means fully seasoned to the core. For dense hardwoods like oak and hickory that means 2 years of seasoning after splitting and stacking.

I burn standing dead ash that i cut down over the summer. i doint have a moisture tester but it shouldnt be an issue with dead ash thats been in my garage out of the elements for a few weeks right?

Standing dead trees can still be damp inside. Ash dries out pretty quickly but without checking it's hard to know. If you resplit some pieces and press the freshly exposed wood up against your cheek does it feel dry or cool and damp?

your referring to flue temp, and your meter is pretty tight to the stove too. i would like to know what your stove top temps are though. 200 at the flue is certainly too low, my earth stove flue would be at 400 and my meter is another foot or so above yours. my stovetop runs 750-825 with a good cat burn, and i'll put a fan on her if she starts creeping up. i would do a good clean out, check your chimney for any obstructions, shop vac out the stove (with a bag in the vac), follow your air control and check for any obstructions. at the end of the day it is likely your wood supply though.... cut/split/stacked in your garage for "a few weeks". not a chance its ready, even standing dead. i'll cut standing dead this winter with the plan to start to burn it next winter. get some dry wood from a friend, or grab some eco bricks and give it another try. then you will know for sure.

Sorry for the delayed reply i jave been in the hospital. Me and the lady just had our first born. As far as the stove i think that im just expecting to much heat out of a smaller flame, because when i get a big fire going it by all means gets hot. As for the ash i cut down it is ready to burn, it doesn't burn like damp or wet wood. I just swept my chimney the other day and it was suprisingly clean. My big issue now is when i have a fire going i leave the door cracked and it burns great but as soon as i close the door it slows down greatly. The damper is above the door tho so could it not be getting air to the flame properly? Could my chimney hoeght be wrong for my draft? Should i modify the stove to incorporate a draft at the bottom of the stove? My stove pipe going to the flue goes straight up then 90 degrees straight back the the chimney then 90 degrees straight up again. Are those bends to sharp? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.