earth stove vs. vermant castings vigilant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paddler

Nov 29, 2010
Northeast Minnesota
i have a two stall detached garage that i have converted into an insulated workshop. currently, i have one of those 70's era earth stoves that i use to heat it. it seems to work well but it takes a lot of wood to maintain heat output and it also requires a good bit of time before its creating appreciable heat. i have an option of replacing the earth stove with an older vermont castings vigilant stove that used to be in my house. i am curious as to all of your expert opinions as to what my best be would be between the two stoves. i would be burning wood, i know that the vigilant is now sold as a coal burner. it didnt work terribly well in my house because it had a poor pipe system that resulted in lots of creosote but in my shop, the pipe would be a straight shot with no elbows or offsets. curious as to anyones thoughts. thanks.

Run properly, on a good flue, burning well seasoned wood, the Vigilant is a respectable heater. If ash has accumulated in the secondary passages and/or there are leaks, it may perform poorly. Before putting it into service the stove should be completely cleaned, then all the secondary passages blown out with compressed air. Take a bright light and check for any light leaks on the outside. If you find them, seal them.

Status
Not open for further replies.