Earthquake in New Hampshire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Got woken up from a sound sleep by an earthquake. Northern NH is mostly solid granite with glacial till on top of it so its a different sort of quake then a western quake. Looking at the USGS site, I was within a couple miles of the epicenter. The magnitude was 2.9. Not that much shaking but just a long thump. The adrenalin kicked in and I was wide awake. There was a similar one nearby about 20 years ago during the daytime, I was at work and it felt like someone had picked up the building and dropped it. We had a chemical recovery boiler at work that can on rare occasions have a smelt water reaction causing an explosion and folks in the room with me assumed ours had let go.

Not a big fan of earthquakes.

My wife was on the 10th floor of a hotel for an earthquake in SLC in March 2019. She said the dresser drawers were sliding in and out. She texted me while it was happening.

Her boss was on the 15th floor of another hotel: "You texted Paul? I was screaming. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I may have cried. Thought I was going to die.

I'm getting a car and am going to Las Vegas for a flight home. Good thing you texted. I forgot all about you. You have 5 minutes to decide if you are coming with me."

I'm about 20 miles from the reported center and didn't feel it. Thinking maybe the rye old fashioned relaxed me pretty well last night. Do recall one 20 years ago and was awoken by the crack and then a couple of seconds of shake. My understanding is that they are most in the northeast are caused by glacial rebounding.

We had what I could have sworn was an earthquake or possibly an explosion last year here in Northwestern Vermont. I did some research on it and it turns out it was actually a "Frost Quake", which up until that point I hadn't even heard of. Apparently they can occur when there is a very rapid drop in temperature, which is exactly what happened that day. The temperatures all day had been up over freezing, then dropped all the way down below zero in a matter of a few hours.

I experience a small something in New Orleans maybe 45 or 50 years ago and it threw me off my chair and everything flew out of the cabinets and trying to walk in it was like a "fun house" or something and scary...All the restaurant owners were taking pictures of all their food and liquor products to try to collect insurance--very unusual there and never found out the cause of it..But I sure remember it...clancey

Frost quake news, Mass/NH ...