EARTHQUAKE!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Well, I felt my first earthquake early this morning!

3.6 measured - about 3 miles from where we are staying (Oakland, CA).....

I was impressed.

We were instantly awakened - it was not a rolling or swaying, but like a crack or a shot. We are in a one story, so didn't get the same back and forth that many would.

It lasted well less than a second....felt like a truck hit the side of the house! Just BANG and that was it. Sharp sound.

My daughter tells me each one is different. This was quick and violent.

I am impressed that buildings out here can stand up to these...and, of course, much stronger ones!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-27 at 11.24.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-27 at 11.24.57 AM.png
    167.1 KB · Views: 275
wow, that's something! Not sure how I feel about experiencing one, or the lack there of.

Glad everything is ok!

pen

I was thinking about trying to split wood vertically instead of horizontally the other day . . . I think this is sign that I should keep splitting the wood horizontally. ;) :)

A tad scary ain't it? That 5.8 here this year got my attention real fast.

If Fossil gets wind of this one...

fossil said:
Anyone who tries to make it into "Ash Can II" will be immediately digitally vaporized.

Right on the ragged edge. Please keep the politics and social commentary in the Ash Can where it belongs, and out of The Inglenook where it doesn't. Rick

I can't help but think of the game that we used to play in parochial school with the nuns....
Button, Button....who's got the button?
Fossil has the button.... :coolsmirk:

GAMMA RAY said:
...Fossil has the button.... :coolsmirk:

And he's not afraid to use it. >:-(

ETA: Matter of fact, I think I just might clean this thread up a bit.

There...that's better.

They are all different. It depends on the depth of the quake and the soil you are on. Our first experience was a 5.2 about a mile from our house. And it was window rattling loud. I thought a plane had crashed and fully expected to see the flash of an explosion about a second later. Instead, we started shaking for about 30 seconds. The second one a few years later was much different, stronger and longer. No explosion, but there was this steady rumble like you had a freight train on a bumpy track passing the house.

I was born & raised pretty much right there...born in Oakland, grew up in the East Bay Area. I have an aunt who still lives in Berkeley. Haven't heard from her, so it must have been relatively mild. Lived up and down in Northern/Southern California for more than half my life. Felt a bunch of quakes...first one as a little kid (~4 or 5). As BeGreen said, they all seem to be unique in some way. But always a bit unsettling & scary until you get a sense of it ending. Rick

I must be immune to them, haven't felt on in a good 4-5 years. The last couple decent ones we had either I was sleeping or working outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.