earthstove 100 series lighting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trialsguy

Jan 3, 2008
Oak Grove, Mo.
I have a earthstove that was in the house when we purchased it and I dont know how it operates. I have been opening the air dampner in the back which has the wire handle and anchoring it so that it stays open, I turn the dial to H assuming for High then once I get the fire going I drop the door lever in the back and adjust the dial gate on the stove, This was the way I was told to operate it from the previous owner, Doesnt seem to get real hot unless I leave the door cracked.

I am thinking that you leave the air control open in the back them just move the heat selector to either H, M, L range. Am I thinking right or am I way off?

the way I burn mine is I set the dial to what ever I desire L-M-H it doesn't really matter as when the stove is clod the flapper/butterfly is open fully light my fire and as the stove gets hot the flapper/butterfly closes and I leave the deal whith the wire open.

HMMM? I am wondering about the spring flapper. Are you talking about behind the stove under the air dampner in which you pull the wire up and set it on a notch so that it stays open. Because under that I have reach under there and felt the gate that opens and closes with the H,M,L dial and all the way to low and it closes the gate all the way. I am wondering if I have the same set up as you..But either way you leave the wire tab fixed so the air dampner is open while burning, Correct?

Thinking here I was checking that butterfly flapper gate while the stove was in use, wasnt real hot but it may have already heated the spring to open it up.

when it heats up it closes when the stove is cold it will not close unless you go past L I burn mine usually on M or in between M&L;and yes I just set it and leave it alone.
yes the control knob is on the rear left side of the stove (your right if you are standing in front of the stove looking at it) and the little wire i just leave it up and open because if I undo it and let the metal flap that it is connected to it close it will put out the fire in my stove. and yes I believe the deal you are talking about is in the center of the back of stove and rectangle shape.
the pictures may help

Attachments

• stove back.JPG
    stove back.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 481
  • stove control.JPG
    stove control.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 363
Thank you! This info helps out tremendously, I was doing it all wrong. I would lift the wire flapper in the back when lighting the fire then drop it and try to use the dial on the side to regulate the heat, I think the only reason my stove would work was because the door is warped and lets air in on the bottom.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.