Ease my concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joebo

Oct 27, 2009
Eastern PA
We were debating a pellet stove or wood stove. I'm leaning towards a wood stove because from what I read it will throw a lot more heat and in the long run it is less maintenance. Lots of people who I talk to say wood stoves are a lot of work. How long typically will a wood stove burn before you need to throw more wood in the stove? How many cords of wood would the average 1500 sq ft. ranch home burn during a Pennsylvania winter? What do people do when they leave the house for 2 days or more? Just rely on your oil/gas/electric heat?

A lot of it depends on the size and type of the stove. A non cat stove with a small firebox will only burn a few hours at best with a full load of wood. A typical non cat stove sized for your house might burn around 6 to 8 hours. A cat stove will burn significantly longer. I'm sure something like the Woostock Fireview would work well for you and burn 12 hours at a low setting. A Blaze King Princess (also a cat stove) would go even longer and work for you as well. Wood type makes a difference as also. Premium hardwoods will burn significantly longer than softwoods. Of course, the more heat you need out of a stove, the shorter the burn time will be. With a house your size in PA, I'd be looking at a 2 to 2.5 cu fireboxs. You'll probably need about 3 to 4 cords to fully heat your house for the season.

If you're gone for a couple days, you'll need to rely on your backup (or main heat source) for heating.

Go as big as you can. I like non-cat stoves. No cat to replace. I have a 2.3cu ft box in WI and do well. In a perfect world I would have went a little bigger but liked the style of the hampton insert. I have 1400 sq ft in a 50's ranch with an exposed basement. R50 attic insulation and all new high end windows with r7 in the walls. I have no problem heating the house. I kindle embers at 6am and leave for work at 7:30, still ash at 5:00 when the wife gets home if I pack it full. If you could get 3cu ft I think you would be even better off. You can always build a smaller fire...

Thanks for the good information. I believe the people who I have talked to were old school wood burners when stoves were not as effecient. There is a stove for sale near me at a good price. I don't have any info, but will find out more tonight. Its a catalytic stove. Hoping it is big enough to do the job. I'll update with additonal questions when i get more info on the stove.

When you leave the house for a couple days - you will have to rely on your existing heating system.

Consider that with a wood stove --> you can gather your wood for free (it's fun ) and you can still have heat when the power goes out. With a pellet stove - you are at the mercy of pellet prices - supply and you'd need a battery back up if the power goes out. Plus - you have to listen to that annoying clinking noise.

If you can - go with a new EPA approved woodstove. They are great. Very little smoke (a more effecient burn). I can get an 8 - sometimes 10 hour burn.

There is so much more to enjoy with a good wood stove and wood fire. Get one with a good glass viewing area too.

You'll get lots of opinions. I considered a Quadrafire Mt. Vernon pellet - but when with a wood stove and I am so glad I did.

You are spot on - about the maintenance too. Pellet stoves have alot of parts that can go bad and need replacing. Not to mention the electricity consumption. About the only maintenance on the stove - might be a chimney cleaning or a door gasket.

joebo said:
We were debating a pellet stove or wood stove. I'm leaning towards a wood stove because from what I read it will throw a lot more heat and in the long run it is less maintenance.

I think you're right . . . at least on the maintenance issue. Our Inspector has both a pelletstove and woodstove and he says that while he likes the "set it and forget it" aspect of the pelletstove and the consistent thermostat-maintained temp, he says to properly maintain the pelletstove per specs he has to spend 20-40 minutes each week cleaning it. Compare this to my weekly 10-minute chore of cleaning the glass and dumping the ash pan and the monthly 10-15 minute job of inspecting and cleaning the chimney.

Lots of people who I talk to say wood stoves are a lot of work.

Well they're right to a point. You can't just load up a woodstove and then leave it . . . you have to typically spend a few minutes to a half hour to adjust the air and make sure you're not going to either over-fire your stove or overheat your chimney. Moreover, they're partially right in terms of getting the wood . . . to a point. If you decide to cut down the wood, buck up the wood, split the wood, haul the wood to your home and stack the wood then folks are right -- it can be a lot more work vs. ordering up a pallet of pellets and having them delivered to your home. On the other hand, while more costly, ordering cut, split and delivered wood isn't much more work than pellets.

How long typically will a wood stove burn before you need to throw more wood in the stove?

The answer to this question is a big Depends . . . depends on the size of the firebox, depends on the temps inside and the temps outside, depends on the type of EPA stove technology (cat vs. non cat), depends on your home size, lay-out and insulation, depends on the draft, depends on your firewood (seasoned vs. partially seasoned vs. green and softwood vs. hardwood.)

How many cords of wood would the average 1500 sq ft. ranch home burn during a Pennsylvania winter?

Sorry. I'm no help here.

What do people do when they leave the house for 2 days or more? Just rely on your oil/gas/electric heat?

Yup. My oil boiler is now my back-up heat when I'm either too sick, too lazy or not around to tend the fire . . . normally I don't hear the sound of it running very often though since I burn 24/7.

Just something we put out there for people looking at burning for the first time at this late in the game.

Do you have a minimum of 2 cords of dry seasoned wood already?

If not, you *might* be able to buy some but it will be a premium and might not make it to your advantage to burn with wood this year (other forms of heat might be cheaper).

If you answer no to the above question it would be to your advantage to wait out this winter season.

Wood stoves are work, you have to be prepared to burn, have your supplies ready to go in advance.

Most of us rely on our backup heat while gone, ie oil,electric,gas.

About the work - without a doubt there is a lot of work involved in burning wood. You will find out if you're the type of person who loves that work or hates it. A lot of us love it to a fault - it keeps us from doing "real" work! For me, it is work the same way playing football is: that was hard - can I do it some more? (I admit, I like to do it on my terms and at my convenience, which isn't always possible.)
On the other hand, lots of folks go to pellets after years of wood because they're "burned out" so to speak. It is more a way of life than x number hours of work. Spend a little time on this forum and you really see the passion a lot of people have for wood heat. You might catch the bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.