Easiest way to lighten a Grandpa Bear for transport??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Way2go53

Nov 11, 2015
PA
I'm excited to be buying my first Fisher stove and picking it up tomorrow. I may only have a couple people to help load it. I read in one string where a person removed the doors. Between that and removing the fire bricks, would that lighten it sufficiently that 2 strong men could lift it? Thank you in advance for your help!!

I pick them up by myself.
Remove doors - have some penetrating oil like PB blaster, vice grips to turn pins, and hammer with punch to remove pins if they are stuck.
Removing firebrick is not always an easy job. If it needs replacing anyway, you may be able to destroy some to get them moving. If they are in good shape, don't even try. It's not worth the extra time and money just to lighten it.
The key is move it on wheels. One guy normally delivered them new, with the proper equipment.
Steps are an issue. Just like getting into truck or trailer; Take 2 X 6 or 2 X 8 planks for making a ramp. Lay it on it's side or back and "walk" it up or down planks. When I'm alone I take a come along hand winch to pull up ramp into trailer or truck.
I'm only 160, and my wife is 120. We have picked up Papa's and even an XL by ourselves with no strain. Lift with boards or bars as levers.
If it is a rear vent, use a 2 X 6 through the hole as a lever to lift the back. Get wheels under it and use the same technique to lift front with board through door opening as a lever to lift front. You will lift it right up with a 6 foot lever. I use a hand truck and 4 wheel carpeted furniture dolly. No wheels on ramps.

Which model are you getting? Baby, Mama and Honey Bear are not bad by yourself. The others you need to be more careful. And welcome to the Forum !

Reactions: Way2go53
I pick them up by myself.
Remove doors - have some penetrating oil like PB blaster, vice grips to turn pins, and hammer with punch to remove pins if they are stuck.
Removing firebrick is not always an easy job. If it needs replacing anyway, you may be able to destroy some to get them moving. If they are in good shape, don't even try. It's not worth the extra time and money just to lighten it.
The key is move it on wheels. One guy normally delivered them new, with the proper equipment.
Steps are an issue. Just like getting into truck or trailer; Take 2 X 6 or 2 X 8 planks for making a ramp. Lay it on it's side or back and "walk" it up or down planks. When I'm alone I take a come along hand winch to pull up ramp into trailer or truck.
I'm only 160, and my wife is 120. We have picked up Papa's and even an XL by ourselves with no strain. Lift with boards or bars as levers.
If it is a rear vent, use a 2 X 6 through the hole as a lever to lift the back. Get wheels under it and use the same technique to lift front with board through door opening as a lever to lift front. You will lift it right up with a 6 foot lever. I use a hand truck and 4 wheel carpeted furniture dolly. No wheels on ramps.

Which model are you getting? Baby, Mama and Honey Bear are not bad by yourself. The others you need to be more careful. And welcome to the Forum !

Thank you SO much Coaly!! That is exactly what I need to know! And thank you for the fire brick advice. From the pictures, they look to be in good shape. This is my first wood stove and I am so thankful to have discovered your blog. I got very excited when I realized the stove I found on Craig's List was a Fisher. From what I can tell it's a Grandpa Bear lll. The make was listed as "unknown" but when you enlarge the picture it's definitely a Fisher. Thank you again!! I will let you know how we make out!

Status
Not open for further replies.