Easiest way to remove bark from green rounds?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rygar

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2013
I got some Tulip Poplar delivered to my house for free. Its all cut into rounds, now its time to split (once my splitter is fixed). Problem is that the bark has poison ivy and im looking to avoid any future incidents with it.

wanted to remove the bark during splitting or before splitting. what are the best methods?

Let it be till spring, then put on some gloves, then about every 6inches or so take a ax and chop just enough to go threw the bark from top to bottom and peel. DO NOT BURN IT. Put it some where and let it decompose. I have done this before on different woods , it is a pain but it is the best way to get it off other than getting rid of it all of the wood.

Draw knife, but way easier to do before it is cut into rounds.

The easiest way is to stack it. Once it's dry the bark will fall right off.
maybe i will let these rounds sit until early spring then start splitting. hoping since its poplar it will dry enough to have the bark fall off

i dont know, everyone is talking about burning poison ivy is real bad news. and then the chance of hte oil spreading on everything those splits touch

Post some pictures. You'd be surprised how many times people misidentify poison ivy. I once had a tree service come look at a tree to trim and the guy warned me to stay away from the poison ivy on the trunk. You should have seen the look on his face when I rubbed that vine all over my arms. Relax, it was Virginia Creeper. It's not uncommon to have a few of the leaves break off and have it look like poison ivy.

Last edited:
Post some pictures. You'd be surprised how many times people misidentify poison ivy. I once had a tree service come look at a tree to trim and the guy warned me to stay away from the poison ivy on the truck. You should have seen the look on his face when I rubbed that vine all over my arms. Relax, it was Virginia Creeper. It's not uncommon to have a few of the leaves break off and have it look like poison ivy.
hahahah i can show pictures of my arms that got hit with it. its definitely poison ivy as i had to go on prednisone.

We have Virginia Creeper and wild raspberry that both look like poison ivy. The giveaway on the wild raspberry is that it has thorns.

maybe i will let these rounds sit until early spring then start splitting. hoping since its poplar it will dry enough to have the bark fall off

I cut a cord of poplar this May for my hunting camp. I was at camp last week and the bark was falling off most of the pieces and it burned great.

Doesn't take long for poplar. I had some falling off within a month or two

here are some pics
20151102_165004_resized.jpg
[img] one is def the poison ivy
[img]

I have some of the "woody" vines on alot of my firewood. I split it, season it, and burn it.

If I see leaves of poison ivy, I just let the potential firewood sit, and let them die off.

Gloves on, ofcourse ;)

Reactions: mwhitnee
will negotiatet his one with my wife. she hates it sitting in the yard, at the same time we have a 15 month old. and me having poison ivy means her with toddler nonstop. so thats what im using as my negotiating technique.

Reactions: Applesister
You should have seen the look on his face when I rubbed that vine all over my arms. Relax, it was Virginia Creeper.

We've got that stuff all over my property. Looks just like the bad stuff.

straight hoe, floor scraper, bark spud, whatever you call it. i use one for the dead ash i have that is covered with poison. long handle keeps the back straight and increases your distance from the nasty.

straight hoe, floor scraper, bark spud, whatever you call it. i use one for the dead ash i have that is covered with poison. long handle keeps the back straight and increases your distance from the nasty.
i got a straight hoe

Reactions: jeffesonm
Let it season until the bark falls off and the vines with it ?

the reddish hairy rooted vine is poison ivy

that grey thing with hardly any roots is likely creeper but could also be a young poison ivy vine.

the two too often grow together here with the poison ivy hidden under the larger leafed creeper
the leaves of both turn quite red in the Fall at the same time.
Roots in the ground even in Winter are not safe to handle either.

The reddish hairy rooted vine on my property is harmless. The ONLY difference I can find is that this stuff never flowers, and doesn't bother any of us. Other than that, it looks exactly like poison ivy.

You could first pull the vines off with gloves that you are gonna toss, and bag the vines, leaves, anything stuck to the bark. Then get rid of it.
Next, take bark off if you want. I was looking at Bark Spuds in the Bailey's catalog. They look like a long screwdriver with a flattened widened bent chisel tip. I think they were about 40.00.
I'd go with chisel/mallot. Its gonna be a pain in the arse but you need to finish processing the wood. You already have the creeping crud, might as well see it thru. Those rounds look big, better to take the bark off and then wrestle with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.