East Coast - pay attention AGAIN!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doweast.....don't take us all so seriously. We're really just rachet-jawing, and none of us are going for the survival gear yet! Turns out this one is going to be just a flurry....will take us about 15 minutes to dig out of this!

Howard....cool gitar! I'll bet even BB can get behind some of that slide!

Scared? Hysterical? Of snow and ice? You're kidding, right? Maybe you had a bad day? We haven't had a good one yet and I'm looking forward to getting dumped on so me and baby son can have some fun!

heh, come up here. lately 6 inches is a dusting, I'm sure we're close to, or over 10 feet total snowfall so far.

Webmaster said:
Doweast.....don't take us all so seriously. We're really just rachet-jawing, and none of us are going for the survival gear yet! Turns out this one is going to be just a flurry....will take us about 15 minutes to dig out of this!

Ditto Craig....Just fun with the virtuals. " It's on the internet....must be real." Not to worry, my serious stuff is long past.....except for wooding for next winter. Too much snow to work the woods efficiently. Anyone want to assist ? Gets the body in shape for air guitars.

Well, depending on which source I listen to, I'm going to get between 1 and 10 inches tomorrow, beginning sometime between 7AM and 6PM. Are these guys former cable company employees???

dodged another one i guess... 2" of snow and turning to rain now. I am still watching the system the OP was referring to though....Cold air looks as though it will be in place as well as the jet stream... We'll see.

cmonSTART said:
Well, depending on which source I listen to, I'm going to get between 1 and 10 inches tomorrow, beginning sometime between 7AM and 6PM. Are these guys former cable company employees???
The weather models certainly have struggled with this up coming system and at this moment still are. I have been passionate about weather my whole life, my dad was, my brother is too. I've kept weather records here in Seacoast of NH since 1980, taken courses in meteorology, but I certainly am no meteorologist. My friends always ask me what the forecast is and I'm fairly good at predicting but my hats are off to the real meteorologists. Any time you delve into any of the natural sciences I think you should be prepared to be humbled. The complexity and nearly infinite dimensions of the natural world quickly make you realize how little we do know. The science of weather forecasting is the science of predicting the actions of the entire layer of air covering our planet. It's an interaction of the air slipping over the earth's surface as the earth spins, the heating and cooling of the air from daily and seasonal sun fluctations, and the heating and cooling mechanisms associated with condensation and evaporation of water and changes in elevation of particular air parcels. Each and every, piece of topography, ocean temperature fluctations, particle counts, all make an impact. Every action of every molecule interacts and affects the entire system. It is totally mind boggling when you begin to try to consider it all. That they can predict that there will be a storm 3-5 days ahead of it even existing is to me an amazing feat. That they struggle with being able to tell each and everyone of us exactly how much is going to fall and in what form it will be in our particular driveway at exactly what time, I'm willing to forgive them for. Yet they do come pretty close to doing that most times. In Antrim today, I think you'll probably get 3 to 6", both 1" and 10" seem unlikely. Can't tell you 4.68" for sure. Having said even that, I'm prepared to be humbled yet again. :roll: PS, the East Coast scenario I started this thread on has yet to really seemed to come together. This event coming through today and tonight is not what I was refering to. Time will tell. Yes, I'm prepared to be humbled. Good thing no one pays me!

We have over an inch of "flurries" and it's just starting here in western Ma. Prediction is from 5/10 inches ending Sat. by 7a.m. At least they stopped with the freezing rain bit. It's a perfect week-end to stay in, eat home made bread and plan our spring garden. Here's hoping the Hughes net stays working. Contact with the outside world is always nice and I don't feel guilty being on the computer because it's so lousy outside. Now if we don't have any chimney fires all will be well in the hilltowns.

:) Got around 6" so far. The prediction is 8 to 11 - we'll see. Getting baby dressed in his snow suit soon. I'm going to laugh just watching him try to move in that get up.

The forecast 3 to 6 will turn to rain and be washed away by morning.

Guaranteed.

I fixed the flat on my snowblower and lubed and tuned it up last night.

Some day, a hundred years from now, someone will be doing an archaeological dig in a landfill, trying to figure out what all these layers of blue bread and sour milk are all about.

Howard M Emerson said:
Howard M Emerson said:
Finally.........and it's still coming down..............YES!!!!

Finally got to use my Troy-Bilt after all this time sitting high and dry in the shed..........We've had over 6" here in Huntington Station, LI so far and they're predicting anywhere from 5-10" before it turns over to rain..........

Have gas, will throw.

HE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzrxqzINGw
Unbelievable Luck !!!! Just Unbelievable!!! Be careful what you ask for you might get it!!!

You guys need to live in Winchester, Virginia where they have real winters. I just heard on the radio that Winchester has had a whopping total of three inches of snow all winter but has used up the allocated five snow days for the schools. They are closed for the little dusting today and will have to make the day up at the end of the year.

Unbelievable Luck !!!! Just Unbelievable!!! Be careful what you ask for you might get it!!![/quote]

Hey Drift,
A couple years ago I did an east coast tour around this time, and no sooner did I leave the house, it snowed the next day and my wife, herniated L5, S1, was left to fend for herself.

A year later I did a west coast tour............same stuff...............<sigh>

I had to make restitution somehow................:)

At least we have no 'lake effect' stuff like you probably do. I can understand your point of view, completely.

Best,
Howard

BrotherBart said:
You guys need to live in Winchester, Virginia where they have real winters. I just heard on the radio that Winchester has had a whopping total of three inches of snow all winter but has used up the allocated five snow days for the schools. They are closed for the little dusting today and will have to make the day up at the end of the year.
My daughter lives just north of Atlanta, same thing. If snow accumulates on the road in any way, they are paralyzed! Here in NH, I have always in any storm, been able to get where I needed to go if necessary. I just had to be able to get out of my own driveway first! Oh yeah, there was one New Years eve when we were at a friends party about 5 miles from our house. We went to drive home, there was really cold (like 20 degree) freezing rain, went about a mile and hit total gridlock on the state road. You couldn't even stand up when you got out of your car it was so icy. Waited about an hour for the salt truck to back 3 miles from the highway depot to where we were before we could get home. Ice, that's the worst!

6.5" and still coming down heavy. I think we will get 8" - a decent little dump. Nice and dry snow here, so it will easy to clean up. I'm waiting until the morning or late tonight before I pull out the snowblower... I'll bet the roads will be "back to black" here by mid-day sat.

When I lived in the Dallas Ft. Worth area visitors would marvel that the city would just shut down when there was a snow (or more often ice) storm. I had to explain that just kicking back for a day every two or three years was a damn site cheaper and easier than maintaining millions of dollars in snow removal equipment. And not dumping a gazzillion pounds of salt on the roads made the cars last a real long time.

BrotherBart said:
When I lived in the Dallas Ft. Worth area visitors would marvel that the city would just shut down when there was a snow (or more often ice) storm. I had to explain that just kicking back for a day every two or three years was a damn site cheaper and easier than maintaining millions of dollars in snow removal equipment. And not dumping a gazzillion pounds of salt on the roads made the cars last a real long time.
Wish what's landing in my driveway tonight would be gone in a day or two.

Howard M Emerson said:
At least we have no ‘lake effect’ stuff like you probably do.....
wife, herniated L5, S1, was left to fend for herself.

Best,
Howard
A few years ago Lake effect snow+ thanksgiving day = 24 inches and not thaw till January
She broke her back shoveling snow SSOOOO you bought her a power snow thrower??? Last time my wife shoveled snow was NEVER!

Well indeed, it looks like a powerful storm system may be impacting much of the country late weekend through mid-week. What it does here on the east coast doen't seem so likely to be all that spectacular though many places could get reasonable snows. West coast may take this one on the chin and the plains may get really hammered too. Wouldn't be surprised to see severe weather down south from this system as well. No longer looks like the dynamics are here with this upcoming storm for it to be a really big one on the east coast but it still bears watching any how. By the way, I'd like to define what I mean by "big one". Think blizzard of 78 or superstorm of 93 both of which impacted large areas including many major east coast cities with a combination of high wind, heavy snow, and coastal tide related flooding or perhaps the daddy of them, all the blizzard of 1888. As of right now, haven't heard any more whisperings of the ingrediants necessary for that kind of event.

jpl1nh said:
Well indeed, it looks like a powerful storm system may be impacting much of the country late weekend through mid-week. What it does here on the east coast doen't seem so likely to be all that spectacular though many places could get reasonable snows. West coast may take this one on the chin and the plains may get really hammered too. Wouldn't be surprised to see severe weather down south from this system as well. No longer looks like the dynamics are here with this upcoming storm for it to be a really big one on the east coast but it still bears watching any how. By the way, I'd like to define what I mean by "big one". Think blizzard of 78 or superstorm of 93 both of which impacted large areas including many major east coast cities with a combination of high wind, heavy snow, and coastal tide related flooding or perhaps the daddy of them, all the blizzard of 1888. As of right now, haven't heard any more whisperings of the ingrediants necessary for that kind of event.

darn i need a challenge

DriftWood said:
Howard M Emerson said:
At least we have no ‘lake effect’ stuff like you probably do.....
wife, herniated L5, S1, was left to fend for herself.

Best,
Howard
A few years ago Lake effect snow+ thanksgiving day = 24 inches and not thaw till January
She broke her back shoveling snow SSOOOO you bought her a power snow thrower??? Last time my wife shoveled snow was NEVER!

Not quite, Drift.

Her back was already screwed up before that happened.......I would never ask her to shovel snow, but we have 24/7 care for her sister who lives with us in a ground floor apartment (MS for almost 20 years now), and so my wife is always worried about the home health aides slipping or whatnot..........You won't be surprised to hear that I've spent a lot of time on the Oil Heating forums looking into a heated driveway, but the snowthrower and me being around is a whole lot cheaper.

HE

Hasnt started coming down yet here but btw today and tomorrow they're saying 16+"....cant wait!!!! &$%#@

This storm coming through tonight and tomorrow is the potential "big East Coast storm" referred to last week. It is a reasonably strong storm, but nothing like the models were hinting at a week ago as the upper level East Coast trough has not really taken on the full blown characteristics necessary for a storm like that. The track again is far enough north and west that many of us will miss out on any real substantial snow but you upstate New York, VT, northern NH and Maine guys are gonna get a nice storm, up to a foot and a half, windy with cold weather to follow. Weather pattern stays interesting for at least another 10 days or so with multiple storms of varying intensity moving through the east coast. Ground hog was right! Still I fear the weather pattern that has persisted all winter in the east is going to continue on with storms moving on a track too far north to really hit the metropolitan aeas of the east coast. The changes of the season may yet break down that pattern and allow maybe one good one. For all you east coast snow lovers, lets hope.

dtabor said:
Hasnt started coming down yet here but btw today and tomorrow they're saying 16+"....cant wait!!!! &$%#@

G@$%%^&**((((&$@!~!@###@#@!$#@%#^&*& you guys up thereI AM SOOOOOOO JEALOUS
WHY CAN'T WE GET A BIG ONE DOWN HERE IN WESTERN MA:((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
f%$# more rain!!!!!! tonight i feel like i should be buying wetsuits not axes and splitters!

Status
Not open for further replies.