East/west log placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
I tried experimenting with EW log placement in my PE Super 27 last night, (as opposed to the traditional NS placement). It seemed to burn much cooler than NS, but lasted much longer. The air flow when placed NS in a PE allows the air to blow in between the splits, while when placed EW, the air only hits the front of the closest split to the door, causing the splits to burn more like a cigar. It seems this method may be good for days when there is not a high demand for heat output, or for extended burns at night.

The major difference I've noticed when I've loaded E/W is that my stack temp does not rise nearly as fast, nor reach as high a temperature, as compared with N/S. I like this aspect, since my stack usually get quite hot. I think that I also get slightly cooler burns, but not sure, and I'm also not sure if I get longer or shorter burn times - I'm guessing shorter since I cannot fit as much wood in the box loading E/W. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
The major difference I've noticed when I've loaded E/W is that my stack temp does not rise nearly as fast, nor reach as high a temperature, as compared with N/S. I like this aspect, since my stack usually get quite hot. I think that I also get slightly cooler burns, but not sure, and I'm also not sure if I get longer or shorter burn times - I'm guessing shorter since I cannot fit as much wood in the box loading E/W. Cheers!

Seems like we've had similar experience. My stack temp was also lower, with an overall cooler burn. I do think it burns longer, though. When the splits are placed NS in my stove, the fire engulfs everything. When placed EW, the fire only seems to burn the front, and "chews" its way back.

Status
Not open for further replies.