east west north south wood placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkf5

Nov 22, 2008
Central Upstate New York
I've read this somewhere on the forum but can't remember which is the best way to place the logs in my stove. I have a round/cylander style, with plenty of room. I have for the past two days been placing the logs east and west and ending up with a lot of coals in the morning and when I come home from work. So I may just place them like this for the rest of the winter. It's fantastic to have the wood heat. Thanks guys you do a great job.

e/w for long burns. n/s for hotter quicker burns.

I have a 3.4 CFT fire box in the Quad and I have done both ways but really whatever gives the best draft and best heat works for me...I have not noticed more or less coals either way. Of course every stove is a bit different but the physics of fire work the same. Whatever works and keeps your home toasty is the way to go. Usually when I start a fire I will put a couple NS and a couple EW to get maximum draft for a quick roaring fire then I pretty much stick with NS just because it is easy and I dont have to stick my hand in the stove.

Mine are all N/S in the 30-NC. Life is too short to stay up trying to get a E/W burn settled in in the 30. With the Jotuls E/W works fine.

I burn N/S for starting and quick heat. E/W for the longer burns and overnight. The big beast seems to be happy as long as I feed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.