Eastern Red Cedar/Juniper- CL Score this morning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thistle

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
Central IA
Seen this on local CL late last night,on north side of town.Called this morning,it was still available.When I pulled up,another guy was parked in front of me,he had lifted one heavy round into his truck,then immediately removed it & sat it back down on the stack.I talked to him for a second,told him "Anything you dont want,I'll take".He said "I didnt know it was PINE,I dont want it now,help yourself,you can have it all!" I said "Thanks,I'll gladly take it all." A few smaller branches,most of it was rounds 16"-20" & cut about 2ft. long. Ended up with about 1 truckload total.The biggest rounds will be milled into slabs & blocks.Everything else will be burned in a year or so.

Early bird gets the worm....or cedar as the case may be... :coolsmile:

Attachments

• easternredcedar31211.jpg
    easternredcedar31211.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 228
  • easternredcedar31211 (2).jpg
    easternredcedar31211 (2).jpg
    111 KB · Views: 245
  • easternredcedar31211 (4).jpg
    easternredcedar31211 (4).jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 228
  • easternredcedar31211 (5).jpg
    easternredcedar31211 (5).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 223
Nice score for the shoulder season. I learned something new... I never knew juniper was considered a pine. :lol:

Kind of a shame it was all bucked up. It probably would have been worth something in the log for a tree like that.

Matt

yuck, I hate that nasty red pine... too much creamasope!

Cate said:
I'll agree with Matt...that wood has beautiful color, it's a shame it was bucked...

Indeed.If that pic on CL showed a 7-8ft log or a couple of'em,I'd had my Alaskan mill,Poulan 475 & 2 x 12 guide plank in the truck with me.I'll still get a number of 18"-24" length slabs & blocks for woodturning,roughed out with the saw,finished size on bandsaw.Will keep a few,sell remainder on Ebay for $10-20 each.Plus the shavings are great mulch.

Status
Not open for further replies.