Eastern Red Cedar...wow, love it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanG

Feb 25, 2015
Charlottesville, VA
Hi all,

So, I've had about five or six fires in my new Century Heat CW2900i and I'm burning a mixture of wood I have scrounged and purchased. Most of the really dry wood I have, (19%) is Eastern Red Cedar. I cut probably 1/4 cord of branches some as thick as 8". The 4-5" rounds and odd shapes I've been burning as well as the bigger 15" 3-5" diameter splits I've been burning have been fantastic. They sent the stove, with the damper fully closed up towards 650 degrees on my Condar which is located in the top right corner of the insert above the door.

This cedar seems to burn for a long time too. Had coals to restart after 7.5 hours with a low of 39. I have to point out that this stove, with this low BTU wood is roasting us out of our 10x18 den. Maybe it's bigger but it's not huge and only has one doorway leading to the rest of the house. Also, I have yet to install my block off plate! I'm scared that when I do it's going to be a sauna in there. I can only imagine what oak or some of the hickory I have will be like next year.

Granted it wasn't that cold out so we'll have to wait and see but I will be bummed when I have burned through all this cedar.

Sean

Thats the only problem when you have a great batch of wood and no other lesser quality wood to blend with it. Or to extend the stuff you really enjoy burning.
A variety is most certainly the spice of life.

I really like Eastern Red Cedar also. It is certainly not my best quality firewood for really cold nights but I like everything else about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.