Eastern red cedar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maple man

Burning Hunk
My land behind my house has 2 type of trees black chery
Which burns good and eastern red cedar wich I don't know
How it burns has any one burned red cedar if you have how
Dos it burn thank you

I usually get some every year or two around here.Burns hot,can be quite sparky,great for kindling & starting.Old very knotty rounds arent much fun splitting,though its worth the effort IMO.

I've only burnt leftovers from making fence posts, but it burnt like pine and hemlock - a bit noisier with pops and farts.

Most of my seasoned wood is red cedar. I love it. It makes the best kindling, IMO. It also smells nice, and doesn't get buggy. I am down to my last little pile, and am almost hoping for another ice storm (okay, not really...) :)

I have a lot of Eastern Red Cedar. I like it for kindling and for getting the fire hot quickly. Smells great but some trees have lots of knots.

Status
Not open for further replies.