Eastern white pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny I had a piece of pine once and nervously put it in my fireplace with all of the burning oak. It didnt cause a major disaster like I anticipated.

But I guess after this thread I now see why. Cool, now I know what to do with all those pine trees on my property . Start burning them up. PRAY FOR COLD WEATHER!!

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:
I had a piece of hardwood once. Mixed it in with my pine. Seemed to burn OK. %-P Rick

What is holding up that corner of the table since then?

Dunno. Wasn't my table. Picked it up during a progressive pot-luck dinner. Didn't know the folks. Nice table, though. Rick

Seasoned pine burns fine says this Virginia pine burner.

One of the many great things I've learned on this site is that I was prejudiced against certain types of wood . . . I am now slowly and surely getting over this prejudice and realizing that with proper seasoning just about any wood can be burned . . . as long as one knows how that particular type and size of wood will burn.

^yeah I hear ya. Back in the day I was always told never to burn pine in a wood stove...that it was only OK for a fireplace. But that was before the www and you depended on the experience of your neighbors.

Dumbfishguy said:
WOW great forum . My dad says Never burn pine . My daugther gave me a truckload of old pine Moister 16 . I m gonna burn it

NO! Please, listen to your dad...he's right. Send me all your pine and I'll dispose of it for you. Rick

In the United States it is only legal to burn pine in brown steel wood stoves with a greater than 3.0 cubic foot firebox. It is a matter of National Security.

BrotherBart said:
In the United States it is only legal to burn pine in brown steel wood stoves with a greater than 3.0 cubic foot firebox. It is a matter of National Security.

In my hand, I have a signed document which clearly states that such a stove may be black in color so long as it is located west of the Mississippi River, and that burning pine in a stove so described is perfectly permissible under the provisions of , & etc., etc., etc. Rick

In the early days during the gold rush all wood burned north of 60 had to be imported from the south by steamship to Skagway and humped over the Chilkoot pass by hand. The settlers and claim jumpers then picked it up from the paddlwheeler on the mighty Yukon river as the local pine was to unsafe to burn in their open fireplace. Many people froze when the hardwoods did not show up. Now we use Purolator and UPS to get the wood here to heat our homes. Hope this helps. :)
N of 60

But what about that time in the 1920's (I think), when the dog sledders all got together to relay burnable wood to the remote areas where nothing but pitiful pine was available locally? And then there was the legendary Woodlift by the US Army Air Corps in the late 1940's when they dropped it in by parachute. %-P Rick

Ahhh yes, Iam told that my grandparents had both original news releases from the Yukon Star but unfortunately had to use the papers to start the fires when their wood showed up. RE:dogsled in 1920 Jan 21st I beleive & by air lift in 1947 Dec 24 the night before Christmas. ;-P Good memory Fossil.

Red Sun said:
Does anyone have any experience or any information to offer?

> Yes, with an Alaskan MK III portable one man sawmill the tree can be processed as a beam or board length wood.

http://www.granberg.com/products.html

What are you going to use it for, planking, timber, stuctural timber? The alasken sawmills work but its slow going and a chain eater. It also leaves the lumber rough cut and wavey. Your gonna needa planer to take off the rough cut. Don't expect to get more than a couple hundred linear feet of wood from a hard days work. Me and the wife are currently looking for land with healthy eastern white pine on it to build a timber frame on. I am going to take a year off work to complete the structure from foundation to finish. This is what I'm picking up http://www.woodmizer.com/us/sawmills/manual/lt15/lt15.aspx

It will produce all my 4" x 4", 8" x 8" , 12"x12" posts and beams as well as my flooring and planking. I can do a couple hundred liener feet in a hour on this puppy without having to plane the timber. The band saw blade does leave a slight wave if not tensioned correctly or fed to fast but its all about how the operator controls the unit. The unit is around $5,000.00 depending on which attachments you get, you save aprox 5 times that on lumber.

I will also be building a enclosure for the mill so that it can be used out of the weather.

Unless you are looking at a small project or building in a unaccessible location, the alasken sawmill will work but its a grunt and you will be tired. You are also going to needa heavy chainsaw, at least a 60cc or better to handle any log over 15 inched in diameter. You will aslos need a heavy planer to smooth out the lumber which are not cheap for the ones that can handle large lumber.

One other thing to consider when burning pine is. Where do you think "fat" wood comes from?
Fat wood is just standing dead pine left to the elements for a bit. The natural sugars/oil ferment into turpentine and burn very well.
I've burned 100 cord of pine if I burned one and the only complaint I ever have is the general fact that it tends to be buggier than the hardwoods, Ants will set up a home in weeks it seems. But of course in the dead of winter they add to the heat content. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.