Easy, cost effectiver roof option for woodshed (and pics of new build)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that's a nice shed you got there.... I would just shingle it and be done with it.

it not something that you have to get done in a day and for you it should be easy... get some shingles and some nails.. and go to town...

Creekyphil said:
woodsmaster said:
Rubber roofing is expensive when you factor in glue, rubber, and termination bar. It's to low of pitch for shingles. Peel and stick would be a good option. You just peel a backing off and stick it down. Don't get any easier than that. It is pretty cheap and comes in about 8 colors. I would still go with galvinized steal personally.

I would just run a thin strip of ice and water around then edge, then lay your rubber over the whole roof, then lay strapping around the edge. Nail through the strapping, through the rubber, and through the ice and water. Or fold the rubber around the edge and it to something underneath. Doesn't have to be fancy.

If you don't glue it it will eventually blow off if it sees much wind.

[/quote]

If you don't glue it it will eventually blow off if it sees much wind.[/quote]

We've got several sheds done this way at a family beachfront cottage that sees much more wind than a sheltered structure in inland CT. 5+ years and no problems, don't forsee any in the future.

It may not be as cheap as going with shingles . . . but I would vote for a metal roof of some sort . . . simply due to the snow load that CT has got in the past . . . or say even last year. Given the apparent pitch of this roof, two foot spans and the use of 2 x 4s I would be a bit concerned that a heavy snow load could be the demise of this shed . . . not that CT had any issues last year with snowloads collapsing any buildings, right? ;)

Shingling is easy . . . as mentioned . . . providing you can follow a straight line, use a tape measure and work a hammer . . . and the cost would be cheaper . . . but I really think in this case you would be better serviced ponying up some extra cash for metal roofing. If price is an issue I would check with some roofing companies to see if they have any left over metal roofing -- you might end up with a rainbow-roof or a Joseph coat of many colors roof, but it would be a bit cheaper than buying from them or perhaps even from buying several sheets at the Big Box stores.

I should mention that my shed does not have much of a pitch . . . and it is shingled . . . but my spans are 16 inches on center, I went with full 2 x 4 walls underneath (and 4 x 6s in the corners and middle of the front and the roof rafters were 2 x 8s (maybe they were 2 x 10s . . . I can't remember) . . . and I can tell you in the winter there is often quite a bit of snow on there . . . I would not want 24 inch spans with only 2 x 4 roof rafters with the snow load I get.

If you don't glue it it will eventually blow off if it sees much wind.[/quote]

When I do somthing I like to do it right the first time so I don't have to do it again later. Just saying..... I guess If you can get the rubber for free or cheap and dont have the money for glue It might work for a while but I would only do that as a last resort.

We've got several sheds done this way at a family beachfront cottage that sees much more wind than a sheltered structure in inland CT. 5+ years and no problems, don't forsee any in the future.[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.