Easy DIY Chimney Sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jay106n

Minister of Fire
Apr 1, 2015
Litchfield County, CT
After paying a company $150-200 for years to clean my chimney, I sat in and watched them use a drill to drive spinning rods up from the bottom, rather than sweeping from the top down. Top of my roof is 2 stories and steep. I won’t go up there. I said I can do that if I find the right equipment. I found a drill sweep set on Amazon for less than $100. I used it for the first time and was very happy with it. I was skeptical about the flexibility of the rods, but they made the 90 degree up turn no problem. I did have to get the extra rods, my flu is 36 feet. It paid for itself the first use.

IMG_2334.jpeg

I just sweeped the chimney for my Blaze King Sirocco insert for the first time. We installed it two years ago. The chimney is 28 feet of double-wall stainless liner in a 50 year old masonry stack.
I've burned about 3 cords of Ponderosa pine each year. At the cap, there was about 1/2 inch of buildup, but I couldn't see how far down it went. Imagine my surprise when the total amount of stuff was hardly enough to scoop out. I guess it was about half of a 3-pound coffee can full.

I used a Vevor brand sooteater bought from eBay for 50 bucks. It looks just like the one pictured in the previous post. The job was neat, clean, and easy using a battery powered hand drill from the bottom up.

What a pleasant surprise :)

It was so easy a caveman could do it

By the way, this is my first ever attempt at chimney sweeping.

Reactions: Jay106n
Pretty much the same here. I tried manual brush sweeping bottom up a few years ago, but the fiberglass rods snapped making the 90 degree bend to go up. That was the only reason I was apprehensive trying the drill method. Man, I’m pissed I waited this long to try it.

I have always used fiberglass rods and did it from the top but if I could do it from the bottom it would be that much better.

Are the bristles on that brush flexible enough you can slide it up past a pipe damper?

I have always used fiberglass rods and did it from the top but if I could do it from the bottom it would be that much better.

Are the bristles on that brush flexible enough you can slide it up past a pipe damper?
I think that should be fine. They curl up like a squid with any pressure/resistance.

Reactions: Matt93eg
Using this method, how do you deal with the mess inside the house? I can imagine having soot and ash strewn all over.

I put the nozzle of my shop vac inside the clean out door in my basement so it wasn’t too bad.

Using this method, how do you deal with the mess inside the house? I can imagine having soot and ash strewn all over.
I got a sheet of clear plastic about 3x4 feet in size. Taped it over the insert door, then cut a slit in the center to stick the brush head through. After reaching the top of the chimney, the rods were detached one-by-one while being held with a damp paper towel to remove the smudge. Rods went into the bag one by one and in no time at all the job was done.

My wife insisted I put down a drop cloth just in case I ended up looking like Bert in Mary Poppins . . .

1696009692791.jpeg

Preparation is the key - getting ready took more time than the actual sweeping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay106n and River
I have a tee on the outside of my house with a cleanout cap on the bottom. No mess on the inside

Reactions: Jay106n
If it's somewhat cool outside, I find that the dust gets sucked out the top. I did the whole taping the door off deal for one year, haven't done it since and haven't had a mess either

Reactions: Highbeam and River
I just cleaned mine out yesterday with one of these. It seems to have done a very nice job. The liner isn't a straight shot up, so can't really see more than a few feet up the liner but what I can see is shiny again. I used my ash vacuum but it apparently doesn't have enough suction to suppress all of the dust, so did have some dust get into the house, despite having a trash bag over the T. Lesson learned for next time.

Did you guys trim the ends to 6 inches or leave them long? I ran mine through twice last year and I just did it for this year. I sent a borecam up to take a look past what I could see and to my surprise I don't have enough rods to get to the top. Luckily i found a 10ft extension kit for mine for $25. I should get it tomorrow and I'll get it swept well this weekend.

Did you guys trim the ends to 6 inches or leave them long? I ran mine through twice last year and I just did it for this year. I sent a borecam up to take a look past what I could see and to my surprise I don't have enough rods to get to the top. Luckily i found a 10ft extension kit for mine for $25. I should get it tomorrow and I'll get it swept well this weekend.
I left them original length. Seemed to work well in a 6-inch double wall liner. The kit I bought came with 10, 3-foot rods. I needed 9 to get to the top. I could easily feel when the cap was reached.

I left them original length. Seemed to work well in a 6-inch double wall liner. The kit I bought came with 10, 3-foot rods. I needed 9 to get to the top. I could easily feel when the cap was reached.
I bought a 26ft kit. I can't be too far from the top at 26ft. The extra 10ft should get me to the top and give me a couple spare rods.

Close up the house. Place a box fan or something similar in an open window, blowing inward. By pressurizing the house this way, all the light dust and ash goes up and out the chimney. Anything heavier that falls down into the stove is easily scooped up. Been doing this for many years.

Reactions: Jay106n and EbS-P
When I use my sooteater I go thru the thimble and just stick the nozzle of the shop vac in the thimble and turn it on. Never have any mess come out.

How’s this looks? It isn’t perfect, but it’s way better than it was. Some spots looked better than this and some were a little worse, this is probably the average.

IMG_0003.jpeg IMG_0002.jpeg

Close up the house. Place a box fan or something similar in an open window, blowing inward. By pressurizing the house this way, all the light dust and ash goes up and out the chimney. Anything heavier that falls down into the stove is easily scooped up. Been doing this for many years.
It’s a scientific fact!

Reactions: weee123

Mine shoots past the open key damper just fine. I was worried it wouldn’t but it does.

I go through the stove loading doors and never get a mess in the house. No prep. The dust goes up, the debris falls into the firebox.

I just use a rag to wipe the rods clean as I “pull out”.

Reactions: Matt93eg
soot eater is awesome. Did mine a couple weeks ago. I usually do one mid season on a decent day just for my peace of mind. My wood seasoning has come a long way so I don't get to much build up anymore like the first 2 years.

This is how the ICRA barriers in hospital construction sites work except in reverse so all the dust and dirt stay inside the rooms with construction

Mine shoots past the open key damper just fine. I was worried it wouldn’t but it does.

I go through the stove loading doors and never get a mess in the house. No prep. The dust goes up, the debris falls into the firebox.

I just use a rag to wipe the rods clean as I “pull out”.
Very good to know, Thank you! I think I am going to get one, I have a pretty steep roof, Doesn't bother me to go up there but I figure why if I don't have to, be much easier from the bottom and I don't have to get the ladder out or take the unnecessary risk of falling.