easy peasy max temp indicator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcims

Nov 18, 2008
Midwest
Does anyone else do this?

NLfhW.jpg

Drop a little coal onto your thermometer as a 'high water mark'? Works great, and pretty inexpensive to replace. :)

I like the organic ;-) simplicity. There was a member last season who posted about an indicator/pointer made of a small piece of rolled aluminum foil. I've been using that.

I saw someone mention the foil the other day and have been doing that.

Northern NH Mike said:
I like the organic ;-) simplicity. There was a member last season who posted about an indicator/pointer made of a small piece of aluminum foil. I've been using that.
That was me. I rig one on my stack's gauge too.

Brian VT said:
Northern NH Mike said:
I like the organic ;-) simplicity. There was a member last season who posted about an indicator/pointer made of a small piece of aluminum foil. I've been using that.
That was me. I rig one on my stack's gauge too.

Brian, I like the Yankee simplicity of your idea. Tell me how you have rigged the stack gauge indicator.

I just kinda smoosh it on there. lol
I was just curious, during my 1st year of burning, what it was doing while I slept.
I've got a pretty good handle on it now so I don't use them very often any more.
If I start into a new stack of wood I might use them for a few days.

Foil.jpg

I tried a ball bearing, large enough to lie in the slot where the needle is, but small enough that the needle can move it easily. Works fine as long as the stove is level!

pictures say a thousand words for me. now i must try it. thanks, pete

Status
Not open for further replies.