Easy Work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
I finally used a gas-powered splitter for the first time yesterday. Rented from HD and it was a 28 ton machine. Man, life has never been easier. We spent 5 hours, 3 of us, splitting about 4 downed trees that had been cut into logs and stacked a couple of years ago. Many had termite damage, but still managed to get a lot of good wood out of them. I've got a lot of hauling to do, but it is easy to get to and is about 1000 yards from my house.

I've got to say, using a splitter has probably ruined me. When I have a lot of wood, I think it's worth the $77/day. We got more done in 5 hours than we would have in 2 days. Some of those logs were 4 ft around and it did the job!!! It was GREAT!

Yep
When i borrowed one & spilt a couple cords of spruce "one fall day" a couple years ago. It sold me.
So I got one (22 ton) & I split mostly vertical. Fast & easy on the back.

Last time I rented a splitter I think it cost me 30 dollars for the day and was worth every penny at the time. I'm still young enough that I'd have a hard time paying the 77 unless I knew I could run that bad boy from sun up to sun down. At that price per day if I really needed it I'd be damn tempted just to buy one.

Of course, if your usual course of action is to buy wood then the 77 wouldn't seem so bad.

pen

pen said:
Last time I rented a splitter I think it cost me 30 dollars for the day and was worth every penny at the time. I'm still young enough that I'd have a hard time paying the 77 unless I knew I could run that bad boy from sun up to sun down. At that price per day if I really needed it I'd be damn tempted just to buy one.

Of course, if your usual course of action is to buy wood then the 77 wouldn't seem so bad.

pen

I believe I'll be in the business of processing my own wood every year, but here is the 'logic' I used.

I can cut into rounds for a few days, rent the splitter for one day and have all the wood I need for the year. We've got enough downed trees here that I'll be busy for years to come. If I can split all the wood I need for a year in one or two days, it keeps me from having to store the splitter, fix the splitter if it breaks, or worry about any mechanical failures. The first one we rented broke two times on me; it was nice to drop it off and let it become someone else's problem.

That's great. If you have the means to get it all done in one day then I agree it would be very worth it. I spend more than 77 bucks a year on gas driving to and from the area I get wood from.

pen

I can rent a 22 ton for 45 bucks a day 75 for two...

They are very cool tools. I was looking at the at Tractor Supply this weekend..
I might buy one if I found it used and it came in at a good price.

But like you said if you bust up for several hours you are gaining a lot of ground.

dont forsake the hand splitting though.

mecreature said:

But like you said if you bust up for several hours you are gaining a lot of ground.

I just bought an X27! I will never forsake the hand splitting. :)

I have to be careful now though - I recently had a mountain bike accident which left me with a broken spine and 7 broken ribs. I'm blessed to be walking - much less splitting. That was October 15th, so I'm still recovering. But, I LOVE hand splitting.

brianbeech said:
mecreature said:

I have to be careful now though - I recently had a mountain bike accident which left me with a broken spine and 7 broken ribs. I'm blessed to be walking - much less splitting. That was October 15th, so I'm still recovering. But, I LOVE hand splitting.

Wow.. where were you riding.

Good luck on getting back to speed.

Friend of mine broke his neck about 5 years ago on a quad running down in Southern Indiana..
took him a bit but he is in good shape.. seemed like a miracle to me but goes to show ya.

mecreature said:
Wow.. where were you riding...

I was at Ft. Duffield in West Point, KY.

I do most of my splitting by hand a little at a time. I find it to be good therapy for body and soul. So far this year I've c/s/s about 3 cords but the scrounging has been so good lately that my pile has gotten way ahead of me. My usual plan is to save all of the tough pieces or species till the end and rent a splitter but I now probably have about another 2 cords cut into rounds and I'd like to get it all stacked by the end of the month. I can get a splitter for $35/half day or $50/whole so I should be able to get it all split and be done with it.

5 cords is the most wood I've ever had split at one time and thanks go to this site. Provides great motivation.

I plan to keep splitting by hand. Splitting is my favorite part of the whole wood heating process. I wish I had a pile of rounds right now - I need to scrounge up some firewood!

brianbeech said:
mecreature said:

Wow Brian, those are some serious injuries! Maybe you'll have to join me on a recumbent bike some day after you heal.

I recall going through the process of "do I buy or do I rent" many moons ago. Well, if I rent, it means 140 miles to drive each time I need the splitter. That alone did not set well with me. No, the gas is not all that much but the time plus wear and tear on the car adds up. We decided to buy and that was 20+ years ago and we have not been sorry. So far the maintenance for the splitter has amounted to oil and filters.

For the last two years - I've rented a splitter and done a years worth in one sitting. My guy lets me pick it up sat morning and drop it back monday for $ 60, so it's hard for me to justify buying a splitter.

I did buy a Fiskars this year and I'll be honest. It may be a first year for me to get it all done without a rental.

basswidow said:
For the last two years - I've rented a splitter and done a years worth in one sitting. My guy lets me pick it up sat morning and drop it back monday for $ 60, so it's hard for me to justify buying a splitter.

I did buy a Fiskars this year and I'll be honest. It may be a first year for me to get it all done without a rental.

I bought a Fiskars this year too and I must say that I haven't picked up my 8lb maul but a dozen times since I got it. Soooo much easier on my body and so much faster. I love it.

WoodpileOCD said:
basswidow said:

I bought a Fiskars this year too and I must say that I haven't picked up my 8lb maul but a dozen times since I got it. Soooo much easier on my body and so much faster. I love it.

I have had that Fiskars in my hand several times and put it back on the shelf.. It seems short, is it really that much better splitting?

mecreature said:
WoodpileOCD said:
basswidow said:

I have had that Fiskars in my hand several times and put it back on the shelf.. It seems short, is it really that much better splitting?

Go with the 7884 and you'll never put it down. 36" handle, a full 8" over the one you've picked up. GREAT axe.

Status
Not open for further replies.