1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Eating your own dogfood

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Nofossil, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    For those of you who aren't computer geeks, the title of this thread refers to a Microsoft program from the 90s in which management decreed that they should be using their own products or 'eating their own dogfood'.

I realized that I had built and sold a bunch of controllers, and that my own house was still running a predecessor with software that had increasingly less in common with the systems I was selling. Time to ingest a bit of dogfood myself. I made the switch in November, and have been gradually cleaning up the old wiring and getting it in shape. Here are a couple of pictures of the new controller in place. It has the version II internals in a hacked-up version I enclosure.

The Variable Speed drive units are for the combustion fan (installed and working), the wood boiler circ (ready to go - next on the schedule), and the bypass circ (part of next plumbing update).

It's been an interesting journey, and it was definitely the right thing to do. I had a LOT of complex control rules written in C on the old controller, and I've replaced all of them with rules using the NFCS control language.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Clarkbug

Clarkbug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I am in envy of your controller.

Have you noticed any differences once you moved to Version II?
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Old saying. "Doctor heal thyself."
  4. Nofossil

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    It's a lot easier to build ;-)

I've made a bunch of changes to both the hardware and the code. The 4-20ma drive circuitry is now inside the box. Code can have comments, and the graphing and control panel are both much improved - I've posted a couple of screenshots in other threads. User-created custom code is also much easier to add.

I'm hoping to have a commercial version sometime early this year - keeping my fingers crossed.
  5. mole

mole Member

Loc:
    Western NY
    This must be that "Science Diet". My "control system" is more like a meal the dog scavenged from the roadside on garbage day.
    BrotherBart likes this.
  6. Nofossil

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    Here's what I was running for the last six years. Looks like something the cat (if not the dog) dragged home......

[​IMG]