Eating your own dogfood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nofossil

Moderator Emeritus
For those of you who aren't computer geeks, the title of this thread refers to a Microsoft program from the 90s in which management decreed that they should be using their own products or 'eating their own dogfood'.

I realized that I had built and sold a bunch of controllers, and that my own house was still running a predecessor with software that had increasingly less in common with the systems I was selling. Time to ingest a bit of dogfood myself. I made the switch in November, and have been gradually cleaning up the old wiring and getting it in shape. Here are a couple of pictures of the new controller in place. It has the version II internals in a hacked-up version I enclosure.

The Variable Speed drive units are for the combustion fan (installed and working), the wood boiler circ (ready to go - next on the schedule), and the bypass circ (part of next plumbing update).

It's been an interesting journey, and it was definitely the right thing to do. I had a LOT of complex control rules written in C on the old controller, and I've replaced all of them with rules using the NFCS control language.
02_DSC_3585.JPG
02_DSC_3586.JPG

I am in envy of your controller.

Have you noticed any differences once you moved to Version II?

Old saying. "Doctor heal thyself."

Have you noticed any differences once you moved to Version II?

It's a lot easier to build ;-)

I've made a bunch of changes to both the hardware and the code. The 4-20ma drive circuitry is now inside the box. Code can have comments, and the graphing and control panel are both much improved - I've posted a couple of screenshots in other threads. User-created custom code is also much easier to add.

I'm hoping to have a commercial version sometime early this year - keeping my fingers crossed.

This must be that "Science Diet". My "control system" is more like a meal the dog scavenged from the roadside on garbage day.

Reactions: BrotherBart
This must be that "Science Diet". My "control system" is more like a meal the dog scavenged from the roadside on garbage day.
Here's what I was running for the last six years. Looks like something the cat (if not the dog) dragged home......

controller-panel2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.