EBT not on PE T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwscarab

Dec 5, 2007
SE Indiana
I just noticed the T5 does not have EBT setup?? I just ordered a T6 and it has the EBT. What technology does the T5 use for secondary burn?? Is it more foolproof than the EBT? Can somebody just give me the quick rundown on the differences between the two? What about burn times, is the T5 actually a longer burn time??

I definitly need the larger firebox that the T6 has, but just wanted to understand the differences.

It's my understand that PE put the EBT on it's big stove to get longer burn times out of it. Apparently, some of their small stoves burn a really long time without it. It would be kinda hard on the marketing department if your small stove burnt longer than your big one.

EBT has nothing to do with secondary burn. It's just a little valve(flapper) that's hooked to a thermometer(bimetallic strip). When you shut the air down on the stove, if it starts to go out, or burn too low, then then the flapper opens and gives it some more air for you. This allows PE to make the air control in a manner that lets you close it more than they normally would be able to allow.

As for foolproof, from the user stand point, it's completely foolproof. It work's automatically, and unless you really watch the fire closely, you'll never see it kick in.

Since it's more parts in a stove, I guess it's more stuff to break on one, but I've never heard of anyone having problems with it.

I have the Summit insert. Same firebox as yours. Here's the burn times I got with it. Bear in mind this was my first year with the stove and I didn't have the best wood. With good hard wood and more experience, I think I will be able to do a little better this year.

Really good heat 6 hours
Pretty good heat and easy restart 8 hours
Able to start it without using matchings but the stove is fairly cool 10 hours

I think I git it....lol. So all the stoves (T4, 5, and 6) probably have the similar manifold design set-up for secondary burns, BUT only the T6 uses the EBT to control the primary air!! That about sum it up?? THANKS!

My understanding is that the smaller PE stoves burn very efficiently. But when they designed the larger 3 cu ft box, they needed a system to burn large loads of wood with the same efficiency. Without EBT, it's possible to throttle down a large stove and have it go out, leaving a lot of unburnt coals. With EBT, when the stove drops below a certain temperature, the coals get a burst of combustion air to 'freshen' the fire. This gives the extended burn. Tom has a better detailed description, now with illustrations, on his website.

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hoebt.htm

When I got my T5 home I flipped it on it's side, just to see how this thing was set up. (can't help it, like to know how things work). The control lever controls the air flow to the primary AND secondaries. There is a control rod going back to the secondary air valve. The ratio from primary / secondary?...dunno. Does the air supply completely get closed off?.....from what I remember , no. I don't know about burn times yet, as this will be my first year with it. From what I understand, the firebox is the same that is being used in the Classic, Spectrum, and Super 27, and those stoves are well reguarded for their burn times. Tom does have a good write up on his web site. I'll do some experimenting this winter, and take notes, then post the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.